Safety deposit boxes

What are the guidelines for for notarizing safety deposit boxes in new jersey?

Don’t understand the question. What you may mean is auditing contents of Safe Deposit boxes located at a bank and abandoned or fee unpaid by the owner. Believe the rules are state-specific, but the procedure can be very time-consuming as everything in the box has to be itemized in detail & you are there to watch, notarize signature on ‘detailed list’. Best bet is to price $X/hour.

1 Like

Agree with Arichter…with a caveat … IF it is an authorized duty in NJ. If all you are doing is notarizing the signature of a bank official, then it’s your allowed state fee plus travel and time (time being the biggest variab!e)

1 Like

you don’t notorize safety deposit boxes.

1 Like

yes, that is what I meant, the contents if boxes are abandoned, thanks.

1 Like

I have done bank drill assignments in California, it’s a day rate and the amount of work is unpredictable. I have had days when we went through two banks in 4 hours with little to document. Other assignments took several days. You start at 9 AM (few banks are open before then) take a lunch break and start again typically at 1 PM to 3:30 or 4 PM. There is no printing and lately that day rate looks better than putting in one $85 refi assignment. The notary witnesses the drilling but only that the bank employees are doing the inventory. A notary doesn’t verify the contents of the box, only that the bank employees signed the certificates. Typically there is one certificate per box whether or not there are contents and a second one if there are. I use the downtime between boxes to handle other business although phone calls are not really feasible as it’s a small space with no privacy.

2 Likes

Procedure differs in Florida - here bank employees are not authorized to do the inventory - notaries go in and, in the presence of a bank official, we watch the drilling, complete the inventory, seal everything up, attach our certificate (provided by the State) and give to bank official.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.