Scans on sight and privacy

I had a signing at a real estate agency that was not associated with the transaction. The real estate agent that accompanied my signers did not want me to send scans using the office scanner for privacy reasons. I was surprised that he felt that way. Was that a legitimate concern? Should we be concerned about privacy if we have to scan on site?

Modern scanners and printers may retain a copy of whatever goes through the device in memory, and maybe even a kind of memory or disk that retains its contents when the device is turned off and turned on. So the concern is legitimate.

4 Likes

wow, I did not know that. Thanks Ashton. I guess it’s best for us to bring our own whenever possible.

1 Like

I worked for a large corporation in Seattle before I retired. IT Dept found copies of docs and drawings retained in large copy/scanning machines on each floor (4 machines per floor). Instead of leasing machines they purchased machines and destroyed memories in machines prior to upgrades. IT Dept increased in size from 10 personnel when I was employed to 30 personnel after being hacked. My personal information was hacked from this employer because they required retaining my information since I worked on high security government projects. Hacking is all around us and sold for cheap on dark web. I save nothing on my personal pc and backup to external removeable drive. Do not use cloud services and periodically check to make sure nothing is saved to cloud without my knowledge. I do not use banking apps on my cell phone regardless of how convenient ~ easily hacked ~ ask your financial institution. Be safe out there.

4 Likes

wow. thanks for the information. I share your opinion concerning those bank apps on phones, definately

2 Likes

Just curious on why you wouldn’t use your own scanner. I have one with me at all times where I either take it into the closing or scan in my car.
I’ve never asked to use the scanner of anyone besides mine

3 Likes

I have been told to use the scanners at the place of location by title agents, and lender reps
only recently have I become totally mobile. Not every notary has or uses thier own mobile scanner.

2 Likes

I have also scanned several documents from closings I’ve conducted in Real Estate Agencies.
The Signing Service usually requests immediate scanbacks from the location, and the Realtors also welcome me to use their machines.

That’s odd how the Realtor did not want to assist you with scans, but after reading the prior comments above regarding security and hacking, I can now understand why.

Which reminds me, does anyone know if Banserv and Service Link ever recovered from their Ransomware attack a few weeks ago?

1 Like

They have recovered their websites are up now.

1 Like

Yes, the signing service wants immediate scanbacks, however, they mean from your scanner, not a 3rd party’s device.

2 Likes