Seal recital/Alabama Notary

I have documents for a seller package for property that is a georgia that doesn’t have the state or county underneath the body of the document, but it just says “signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of:” then the notary public signature, and my commission expiration. Do I use my seal on that?
Thanks for your help. Otherwise I’m calling NNA tomorrow. It’s just an early appointment. Makes me a little nervous.
There was also this comment about the particular seller package

I should know I’m sure.

On top of all this, I believe I have to call an attorney in Georgia to be on the phone while we’re doing the closing and the Signing Company did not mention that. maybe it’s not required for a seller package? I shall make it through tomorrow, and be more than a conqueror.:innocent: we are warriors! (DWIGHT SHRUTE)

If I were you, I’d call the SoS and ask them. I just looked up a Georgia Warranty Deed and the form you showed is missing the Witness signature line. Here in Florida, I could not comply with these instructions - no seal without a notarial certificate attached. “Signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of…” merely makes the notary a witness - not a notary.

Here’s the form I found:Georgia General Warranty Deed Form - Deed Forms : Deed Forms

1 Like

genevawilkerson33 doesn’t say what state she is in. In my state, VT, (and other states that have adopted the Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts) there is a notarial act where the notary just witnesses the signer signing, without taking an acknowledgement and without administering an oath. It’s called signature witnessing. If it happened in my state I would draw a line through the pre-printed language and add this short-form certificate that is given in Vermont law:

State of Vermont
County of _____
Signed before me on ________________ by ______________

(my signature)
My commission expires January 31, 2025

(my official stamp)

That certificate covers witnessing the signature, but it doesn’t say anything about delivery. That’s something I’d ask about ahead of time. Witnessing delivery isn’t an authorized notarial act in Vermont.

I’ve come across other websites that say a deed in Georgia needs to be acknowledged. So even though the language in the original post doesn’t say anything about an acknowledgement, I’d ask the lawyer what is actually needed.

I’m guessing the answer to your question is state specific.
I’m in Michigan and I see these all the time as notary verbiage

SIGNED SEALED DELIVERED :notes::musical_keyboard::saxophone:

Georgia is an Attorney state and discourages individuals from becoming a notary by limiting the notary’s fee to $2 per notarization. UPL must have been common in the colony days, and the laws are still on the books. I don’t believe you can substitute your state-compliant acknowledgment but you can use your jurat.

1 Like

So NNA says i do NOT need to stamp that single verbiage.
On the “attorney state” thing-- NNA got it wrong. They told me that i only have to abide by the rules in my state (see up there it’s Alabama) but i know for a fact that i still have to call the attorney if it’s a Georgia property. The Attorney apparently called the seller prior to the signing and that’s all we had to do. : )
I also realized they were just trying to freak me out in the notary instructions because they thought i would be reluctant to provide a witness. I’m very good at rounding up witnesses for signers, actually. They usually become friends with their neighbors because of me :wink: thanks for all your help.

My state is in the title Ashton. Thanks for your help! :innocent:

Thanks Jenn! I’m moving to Michigan at some point.

1 Like

@genevawilkerson33 Yes, this is a fairly common occurrence . . .

There are several of us sages who regularly suggest to Notary Cafe members to be VERY cautious about the information that is provided by that particular organization as they’re based in CA, but aren’t as knowledgeable (for all of the United States) as they advertise.

ALWAYS: Caveat Emptor.

:swan:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.