SECURE Notarization Act of 2021-2022

Passed the House 6 days ago. "This bill allows a notary public commissioned under state law to remotely notarize electronic records and perform notarizations for remotely located individuals. The bill provides technical requirements for such notarizations, including the creation and retention of video and audio recordings and the use of communications technologies (i.e. video chat).

Additionally, the bill requires US courts and states to recognize notarizations - including remote notarizations of electronic records and notarizations of remotely-located individuals - that occur in or affect interstate commerce and are performed by a notary public commissioned under the laws of other states.

The bill also allows a notary public to remotely notarize electronic records involving an individual located outside of the United States, subject to certain requirements." – S.1625 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Securing and Enabling Commerce Using Remote and Electronic Notarization Act of 2021 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

2 Likes

Is this for California as well?

1 Like

For those states that have adopted RULONA. Part of the act is intended to encourage the hold out states to do so.

I believe CA supports RULONA. But check your state resources to make certain of that, and which state-specific modifications CA may have in place.

I think there is is proposed legislation in CA to allow this…check in the Law category here…Matt Miller posted on it. And keeps everyone dated on CA progress toward RON

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.