Sign as signature line or as on ID?

Hi,

I learned in my LSA training course to have the borrower sign as the signature line asks. This has been reiterated on nearly every Notary Instructions page as well. Meaning, if the signature line is Jane Ray Doe, then her signature must legibly read Jane Ray Doe, even if her regular signature (and signature on her ID) is traditionally just JDoe.

Ive been doing this for months no issue + getting repeat business, however last night a borrower’s wife said she was an LSA as well and knows that her husband can sign his regular signature as it appears on his ID (which was not his full name and not what was on doc’s signature line).

Lender just got back to me and said as long as it matches ID, we’re good to go. So why all this training on having them sign a specific way if lenders dont care?

Thanks!

1 Like

Technically (and really, legally), they are supposed to sign as written on the document because that’s how they took title to the property to begin with - some companies will insist, which can really rile up the signers, other companies will say “okay, as long as the ID is good and the signature matches” just to preserve the loan…it varies - it varies company to company; Your best bet is to follow the company’s instructions - then if the loan doesn’t sell, or fund, it’s on them, not you, and you get the resign to correct their bad info.

Maybe that’s been her experience, and in this case it worked out - it’s okay to do it - until it gets kicked back and it’s not okay any more.

1 Like

Agree with Linda…it’s Lender/TC specific. The statement that usually convinces them to ‘sign as typed’ is 'apparently, that’s how you took title’.

3 Likes

Yep…I remember several where folks complained - many saying they don’t know HOW to sign their middle name as they never sign it…that’s about the time I tell them “well, that’s what’s required…and he who holds the gold…” :slight_smile: If they want their money they’ll do what they’re told.

Thank you for replying(:
Okay, I will continue doing what Ive been doing and if borrower refuses Ill just reach out to let title/lender know. They were glad I reached out to ask, so to me it doesnt matter their ultimate choice is, as long as they know Im doing my part. Dont want a stubborn borrower to negatively reflect on me/my rep/my business!!

1 Like

I’ll use this line next time (since I’m sure there will be a next time) and hope it works! Thanks (:

1 Like

You can NEVER go wrong INSISTING the signer sign as the signature line reads, regardless of what the ID signature is. In six years I can only recall one signer who dug his heels in and refused to sign his (very legible) signature to match the docs. But when faced with, “If you don’t do it as the lender instructs, the docs will be rejected,” he did what he was told.

When a signature is completely illegible, as mine is, it’s a bit different. Never had ANY lender have a problem with that.

1 Like