Signature & AKA Statement

I have a refinance this evening. The signature affidavit and aka statement for the wife has two names on one line. For instance, one line has Betty Sue Davis, Betty S Davis on the same line. Should I have the signer strike through the second name, initial it and print that name on the next line and then sign next to it on the signature line?

Just ask her if she’s the same person and if she goes by both ask her how she would like to sign her name. Also look at the rest of the documents to see what’s printed the most and ask her to sign accordingly.
If she only goes by one name she can cross out the wrong one and initial.
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I might be answering late (sorry), but I’m always told by lenders (agents) that all names should be signed, if the person recognizes that he/she used those names in the past. Don’t be shy and always ask, I used to feel the same way, until I realized that is better to ask and looked newbie :relieved: than doing mistakes that might cost you no more signings with the lenders or signing agencies.

1 Like

You couldn’t have said it better. Excellent Job with the reference to other similar, spelled names within the document.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I had her to print the second name on the line below and sign on the blank line next to it.

2 Likes

What about those Signature Affidavits where the person’s name is typed as “Last name, First Name M” and they have to do a sample signature next to it? I’ve been telling them to sign in normal sequence with the name variations listed (First M Last) because no one signs their name like that. I haven’t been told that it was wrong.

2 Likes