Signatures

Instructions state that signers must sign as name that is printed on the document. What happens if their signatures resemble more of a scribble than a clear first, middle and last names and they insist that they use their regular signature. What do you do?

Love the scribblers! You do NOT tell people what their signature ā€˜ought to beā€™ UNLESS they write very clearly and itā€™s obvious that SAJones is NOT Shirley Ann Jones. At which point I tell them that the Lender or TC or both may NOT accept it and itā€™ll be a ā€˜do-overā€™. BUT, itā€™s their call! And, Iā€™ve had a block-printed ā€˜Bā€™ accepted as Billy Bob Bones signature, with his lawyerā€™s blessing. Iā€™ve also had a ā€˜do-overā€™ when a lady whoā€™d had a stroke did NOT do her own dating. Chicken-scratch signature, but her husband/co-borrower did ALL the datingā€¦and they would not accept it. Had to go back with another whole pkg. and have HER write the dates (was totally illegible, but they accepted itā€“go figure.)

3 Likes

I agree with Arichter. You canā€™t tell people how to sign if a person writes chicken scratch in front of me after I have verified their identity that is on them. It seems like a difficult task for most people to sit for an hour and repeatedly sign their name for something they really want. So, if they are ready, able, have a verifiable identity and a chicken scratch signature then it is good. As policy in my journal I am asking everyone for a thumb print, too.

I read the Lenders instructions pertaining to them at the beginning. If they say ā€œNo, Iā€™m not doing thatā€ and decides to print or a one letter swoop for 3 whole names, STOP and call the Title company!!! The first time I didnā€™t call and it cost me a very important Direct Business Client on my FIRST signing with them. I had to go back out there with that same package and get them to SIGN above their names at my expense.

1 Like

Agree with @Arichter, and love the scribbles also. They are the most problem-free and always accepted. As long it matches their DL, I could care less.