Signing circle

So this is just a question about all the different people involved in the loan signing process my question is sometimes I see two title companies on the documents. I see Vantage Title and I see Stewart Title why would there be two?

1 Like

It could be that the buyer has one title company and the seller has another and both companies are working together

1 Like

That’s a good answer. Didn’t think of that.
by the way, that’s one of my favorite things to say whenever a gentleman holds the door open for me. “ Chivalry is not dead”:innocent: (on your profile)

Lol I totally forgot that I put that up there.

One is a Title Company and the other is the Title Insurer. In your example. Vantage Title is the Title and Escrow Agent. Stewart Title (or First Am, Fidelity, Old Republic, Chicago Title, etc) would be the Title Insurance Underwriter/Insurer.
There are tens of thousands of TCs in the United States and a few hundred Title Insurers. Out of a few hundred, there are about 10 insurers that occupy about 90% of all of the business.
Now, there are times that the TC and Insurer are the same company. For example, Chicago Title might have a local office in your local city and Chicago Title underwrites title insurance.

5 Likes

No. See my explanation below.

I do believe that the explanation is above you :wink:

Your posts got swapped @richlandmobilenotary - your explanation is first, then you say after that…“see my explanation below” - that’s what @jennjoneis is referring to. I’m sure she was not insulting you,

I had another thought on this…maybe one is doing the title search and one is writing the policy - in CT I worked for a real estate attorney…we would have the title searches done by one company and he/we would write the policy through a title insurer, my boss acting as agent of the company. Hence two fees. Just a thought.

6 Likes

You are correct that one company does the title search and the other is the insurer (exactly what I described in my first response in this thread).Example is one of my direct clients is ABC Title Agency (not their name) who uses First Am to write their title insurance policies. Both names show up in the docs.
You are also correct that an attorney can have a part depending on the state or the situation. I’m handling a few dozen properties in Receivership right now and there is an attorney, a Title Company and a Title Insurer all involved.

1 Like

Stewart Title is the Underwriter. A title underwriter is an entity that authorizes and issues authority for its agents (title agencies, like Vantage Title), to write title insurance policies. The underwriter assumes the ultimate financial risk as they stand behind the policy and actually insures the property against insurance defects. They also agree to defend the owner of the title policy in court should ever the need arise surrounding legal issues with the title.

1 Like

There’s usually a title company if they’re selling your property it on the purchase of the new property there’s another title company involved that’s why there’s two.
Because one titles company has to fund the other total company to pay for the new home to purchasing.
There’s the south side of the transaction and the buy side of the transaction.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.