Snapdocs and signing services

Does anyone accept an offer right away and then negotiate price after (from SS like snap docs or signingagent.com)? I’m curious if this is a better route to go or if I will make the SS mad and get de-listed from their contacts… any advice for a newbie?

Generally, that’s a very bad idea. At some point, probably everyone has hit ‘accept’ by accident…so it does happen. Sometimes it might even work, if they’re desperate enough or you’re the lowest bid. But, do it often and, yes, they will get mad and might do whatever they want to your listing.

3 Likes

Thank you, that was my thoughts - but I have read that a few people do this. I don’t want to stop getting offers!

I agree with Arichter. It is better to negotiate prior to accepting. Accepting then trying to negotiate will get you bad ratings that many signing services can see. So keep the negotiating up front.

1 Like

I’ve done it and my “ask” is often accepted–provided I truly have extenuating circumstances. I’ve had orders floated by me with very little detail, but then when the entire order comes by email, there might be something that wasn’t disclosed up front. Faxbacks are a good example. They are time consuming and costly to the notary–something the SS’s and title companies don’t seem to get. One pays FIVE LOUSY DOLLARS for the extra service. That’s ridiculous.

This AM I had a service refuse to pay me an extra $10 for faxbacks on an order they offered me. I told them to find another notary. Last week, another service didn’t say a word about there being 3 signers on a transaction until I got the full order. 3’s not bad, but one of them was signing both for herself and as POA for one of the others. I went right back to title, said I needed more money–I think I told them another $20–for the trouble and difficulty of doing a POA signing. They wouldn’t pay, so I told them to find another notary too. After six years of grinding it out in this business, I’m about done with it. There’s just not enough work anymore–ad too many notaries— to hold me. I’ll go back to being retired and play golf!

2 Likes

Thank you for this information! I have noticed that sometimes scanbacks are not mentioned til after - very annoying. I didn’t realize I could negotiate after I accepted. That is the hard part about accepting offers like this - you don’t really know what you’re getting. I will keep this in mind going forward. Thank you again!

Enjoy your golf game if you do retire! I’m still shoveling snow here in MN… almost 3 months before golf season… :cold_face:

If you are going to go back and ask for mor, be sure to have a solid reason to back up what you ask. Then if you are told, “No,” you have to decide if you still want the order. I would never suggest or advocate to anyone how they should handle their business. I’m to the point now, though, that I have no qualms at all about sending an order back.

I’ve retired 3 or 4 times in my life already. This next one will be the last, I swear.

1 Like

They going to black list you. If you dont want to do the job dont accept it.

1 Like

I only ask for more if something was not clear in the offer.Such as the amount of pages, location changed per signers request etc…,

2 Likes

Exactly. There has to be some extenuating circumstance, some important detail that was left out of the order request.

I would not do a job if it makes me minimum wage or close to it. We have to assume our cost of printing, driving, car, insurance, supplies, liabilities. If more NSAs calculate their cost and not get underpaid, then we may be paid more. But, unfortunately when more people are available to do to the small pays, the more experienced agent will not get their worth.
There are still advertisements for 6 figure classes. Which is not true or realistic anymore. And, all these new signing agents fall for it.
At the same time I see many people leaving the business and trying to sell their printers and supplies.

3 Likes

6-figures is realistic for those who build direct relationships with mortgage professionals and don’t rely on SS. Still takes a ton of effort weekly marketing and following up, but most will not do it bc it’s uncomfortable.

One way to avoid problems like this is to establish a fee which covers large packages, multiple signers, full area transportation and faxbacks. Let the provider negotiate downward if the package is small or the location is near, or there is one signer or no faxbacks.

1 Like

@dragonbkm et al FYI: Speaking from direct, first-hand experience working direct with title/escrow companies (T/ECs), lenders, attorneys, etc. => This statement may be valid for very few states; i.e., CA, CO, etc., but it’s NOT a valid statement for most states within the US as so very many have discovered (unfortunately) after their substantial investment . . .

P.S. For a valid Reality Check, see the survey results for ‘How much can I earn as a mobile Notary or a Signing Agent?’ dated June 8, 2021.

I’m in a small attorney-state(Maryland) and easily do it. I also personally know ppl in about 20 states that do it.
I’ll grant you in some of the midwest states and less populated ones, the direct fees are lower($125), so those folks have to take a few extra appts a month to get there.

1 Like

MD is an attorney-state now? Thought they were just a TPL state…

Curious minds wants to know :slight_smile:

Yes, been one. Most of the eastern seaboard are attorney-states.

The attorney involvement varies for each one.

In MD they’re required to do the title examination.

Okay - understood - but notaries can still do signings independently of an attorney providing they have that TPL - attorney-states are where the attorney MUST conduct the signing or be “materially involved” in the actual signing.

And yes, I agree - and take it a step further - almost all states require an attorney to review the title report and require an attorney/title agent to issue the final title policies; in most states the notaries can still conduct the actual signing of all the docs.

Correct, “materially involved” again varies with each attorney state. Georgia is by far the strictest.
But I’ve seen Delaware for example have the attorney call in, have me review the CD and have me call them when they’re done.

Agreed. I’ve heard MA is pretty strict too, especially after the fiasco with NREIS several years ago. I had heard at one time that Georgia was enforcing their regulation very strictly but, from reading here and elsewhere, apparently they’re not enforcing it as strictly as they should. NNA and many other trainers will still certify folks as an NSA regardless of the fact that the person cannot do signings in their state.