Snapdocs offering $50

Spot on🎯 Also, I added in realistic expenses that help for marketing & business promotion and client interaction such as: incentivizing gifts, promotional pens, directly required business attire (suits), etc.

Sorry, I can’t help but laugh at this! Reality Dictates: When orders come through, none of us knows if it is ‘on the same block’! All any of us get is City & Zip Code on a potential order. So please expound on what “detective work” was actually done to determine “on the same block”.

I respect everyone opinions and points of views on the topic of signing fees. This topic of dissatisfaction with “low signing fees” has been an ongoing discussion for years. Let’s consider the principles of economic 101, the various factors impacting our business such as, supply & demand, law of large numbers/averages, and the economy (business cycles). Not to mention the distribution channels for getting business, speaking about direct or indirect sources (title companies or signing services) that impact the fees rates. Oh, we must not overlook saturation/growth in the number of signing agents entering the market, thereby increasing the competition. Most of us understand and know our break-even point and margin needed to be profitable. Also, we know that we need to have various strategies for marketing, operations, and pricing to develop and grow our business. With all this being taken into account, most of us understand that we must be adaptable, flexible, and willing to change depending on the business market conditions. Those of us who do not adjust to the industry trends will not survive. Keep in mind, this is a transactional business, if the business volume isn’t consistent. That business will be so out of business.
Unless, that business has another way to generate revenue. Years ago, I decided to convert a portion of my business model towards residual income generation. By taking those steps, allowed me to offset the decline in reduction in signing fees rates. So I was able to insulate my business against fees reduction and maintain profitability. Of course this is just my two cents, which doesn’t mean a thing! I just desired to provide another point of view.

2 Likes

There are SS that require the FedEx receipt but I never understood why. That’s what the tracking number’s for. I dropped hundreds of FedEx packages throughout my career as an importer and it never dawned on me to get a receipt until I got into this industry. I just dropped at the most convenient box and they always found their way throughout America and abroad. Plus the receipt policy showed no regards for our travel costs, as we pass perfectly good FedEx drop boxes, only to satisfy their need for their beloved receipt.

FYI: To all Notary Cafe Members regarding obtaining a receipt at the time of package handoff to the Shipper; i.e., FedEx, UPS, etc. =>

Obtaining a RECEIPT at the time of handoff is certainly NOT in any way for the benefit of the client . . .

The client usually NEVER mentions obtaining a receipt, except in rare instances with lowball Signing Services [SSs].

======

Of course, if it’s not for the benefit of your client, one might ask: “Why take the time, gas, effort, etc. to obtain a receipt at handoff?”

= = = = = = > For one very SIMPLE reason: It’s your PROOF that you definitively handed off the package to an employee at the appropriate shipper!

It’s to protect you & your professional reputation. It also gives you peace of mind that it’ll be on the plane & the client can immediately track it’s location. That’s a small price to pay for knowing that you’ve managed the entire Signing Engagement from Start-to-Finish in a professional & efficient manner.

Next question: “Why would one need PROOF that they definitively handed off a package to an employee at the appropriate shipper?”

Because if it “goes missing,” then the backstop tracks directly to the SHIPPER (not you)! Thus, the following doesn’t come into play:

1. Blaming you for not handing the package off.
  2. You providing your professional services for FREE to replace the package that “went missing.”
  3. Charging you the shipment fee for the REPLACEMENT package you’ll send to your client, which will be DEDUCTED from your fee.
  4. Probable erasure from the client’s Preferred List of Professional Signing Agents [PSAs].
  5. Etc.

======

IMPORTANT TANGENTIAL NOTE: There are some handoff locations that are identified as “Authorized Shipper.” Please DON’T be fooled by those signs . . .

1. They aren’t able to SCAN in the tracking data.
  2. They won’t provide you with a receipt.
  3. They won’t guarantee the safety & security of your package.
  4. Etc.

:swan:

6 Likes

You should hand it to a person who works at fedex or ups, and get a receipts. You should not put it in a drop box. Are you a signing service owner by any chance?

1 Like

I have taken a few $50 signings, but only if they’re close by, and if they’re only a few pages. I hate signing for such a low fee, but since I am fairly new at this, I keep getting shut out of signings with Snapdocs and Signing Order. Even when I reply immediately to the request, it will respond an hour or so later saying it’s been awarded to someone else! They tell me that they will select a notary with more signings under their belt. So how am I supposed to get more experience and more signings? I do what I have to do to get it. I don’t think I’m screwing it up for the rest of you because I’m rarely awarded the signing anyway!

1 Like

@anon42300334

1. Yes.
  2. Yes. Once I’ve vetted that location, then no need to repeat the queries.

NOTE: Any FedEx (or UPS) store is equipped with tracking number scanning abilities. So, truly no need to query the FedEx or UPS employees.

As specifically identified within my post, there is a direct reference to “Authorized” shippers . . . those are the locations to which the following items DO apply:

4. Etc.

Totally agree. I got an assignment offer 45 minutes one way and they offered $35. It’s offensive and your right I don’t know who is accepting those offers but I will not!

If an authorized shipper is unable to scan and provide a receipt, another workaround is take a duplicate copy of the shipping label and have the employee who takes your package sign your copy of the label (also have him/her print their name under their signature).

Just a thought.

@LindaH-FL Thank you & yes, that would be a ‘workaround;’ however, not one that most Business Owners would be comfortable with due to the fact of Item #3 from previous post above (see below) as there is a high amount of inherent risk with a handoff at an unsecured location.

“3. They won’t guarantee the safety & security of your package.”

======

NOTE: The “Authorized” FedEx/UPS Shippers are typically 'mom ‘n pop’ stores, Office Depot, Pack 'n Ship locations, etc., which is why they’re DON’T have capabilities and thus, are UNABLE to provide the following services:

4. Etc.

I would take that signing, but no scanbacks. My option. The money has to be made, by someone.

I agree with you. The OP didnt mention the type of assignment. Ive done quick 14 page seller packages. If its only a few miles from home, yeah, $50 is a fair offer.

New notaries take these signings. I have seen a bit of complaints from companies about errors from notaries. Sometimes, you might get what you pay for. I agree, I won’t leave the house for under $100.

2 Likes

Just to provide a more up to date information on using “Authorized Shipper”. Per FedEx: For accurate information go to: FedEx | System Down

Question - " Can I track the status of my shipment when shipped from a FedEx Authorized ShipCenter location?

Yes. You will receive a tracking number for your FedEx shipment, which you can use to track its status on your desktop, laptop or mobile device. For greater convenience and simplicity, download the FedEx® Mobile app on your mobile device or Apple Watch.

Authorized Shippers create shipping labels, so they are able to “SCAN” in the tracking data:

Question - " Do I need a shipping label before I arrive?

No. You can purchase shipping services inside the store, or create a shipping label before you come in to the store.

Of course, please check with individual local FedEx “Authorized Shipping Center” for specifics about their individual services available.

However, as stated previously do make NOTE that The “Authorized” FedEx/UPS Shippers are typically 'mom ‘n pop’ stores, Office Depot, Pack 'n Ship locations, etc., which is why they’re DON’T have capabilities and thus, are UNABLE to provide the following services:

4. They don’t create shipping labels.
  5. Etc.

===>>> Yes, you are able to TRACK the package ONCE it has been picked up by FedEx and the driver or FedEx center scans it into their system.

Again, always check with your local sites for specifics. My first-hand experience with this scenario over the course of many years has been & continues to be their answer is always the same regardless of the location for the FedEx “Authorized Shipping Center” => “No, we DON’T SCAN in packages.”

1 Like

I don’t do $50 signings, period. Doesn’t pay for gas or my time. If notaries are desperate enough to take them, more power to them. They need money more than I do. However, there really not making any money.

2 Likes

Aloha fellow-notaries, I respect all your answers. I am not accepting anything under $75. BUT…everyone has to consider, there are “newbies” and “established” notaries that take the $50.00 offers because whatever it is to them, money adds up accordingly depending on what their situation is and how many assignments a notary takes in (1) day. So…we’re all keeping the faith in accumulating revenue, we’re all in the same “boat” and we all should keep helping each other in sharing resources, etc,BECAUSE TO ME…the only ones making big money is the “Well seasoned” notaries thats been doing this for 20 yrs+ years, with backup and charging us for all their trainings etc. which is optional. (YouTube is free infor). Freedom of speech still dwells in this “thread” But it could be a learning session also- right? Peace out…

1 Like

The house wife or house husband who are the bread and butter of this industry.

Those fake news from the notary schools that you can make $10k a month or more, now we have agents then signings offers and the newcomers are taking any kind of offer.

2 Likes