Swearing in a Witness asca Notary

Has anyone performed a witnesses swear in for a court proceeding as a Notary? What is the process and how exactly does it work?

IME, you get there a bit early, ID the witness, wait for court to call, introduce yourself/state commission #, say you’ve seen witness’s Id, have witness introduce self, swear witness in, ask if you can be excused, leave.
I’ve had other witnesses who start arguing, judges forget to request ‘my’ witness be sworn in, and once I was videotaped for some corp. trial. Just go with the flow and it usually doesn’t take more’n 1/2 hour or less. It’s always interestingly weird.

This is the first time I’ve been asked to do something like this so I was wondering how the process goes
 thanks

@donaldsonnp Yes, as @Arichter has conveyed above is the process that I’ve directly experienced as well. Definitely need to ask if you can be excused before the testimony on the docket begins!

:swan:

1 Like

In addition

1. Do as Arichter said - and if you were contacted by the witness/deponent, make sure you are paid before everything starts.

2. After call from court, while on phone, you have the person raise their right hand and administer the oath - so this is on the court record. (“you swear the testimony you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth:”)

3. See if there is a form for you to complete and sign for the court record - that would be in the hands of the court or the attorney who called for the testimony. Also, check with your SoS - they may have a form available for you.

These are really easy assignments
good luck

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.