Texas NSA Refi Signing in NM?

Is there any circumstance where it would okay for me, a Texas signing agent, to do a refinance in New Mexico? I am just over the state line but … ?

Does your state allow you to cross state lines if the security is located in TX? I’d check with your SoS but, IMO, the answer is no - if you’re just over the state line have the signers come to you

1 Like

Thanks. That what I thought but then I thought oh hey maybe I’m missing out on a market through some loophole I didn’t know existed!

You’d need to research your own state’s notary laws and those of New Mexico to see if both of them allow dual commission - and see what the requirements are for a commission in New Mexico and if you can fulfill those requirements. Check your handbook and the supporting statutes.

I’m in Texas. The Texas Notary Primer states that our jurisdiction is only in Texas. It says, “Notaries may perform official acts throughout the state of Texas but not beyond the state borders”. Perhaps you could get commissioned in New Mexico also? You’d have to check their requirements to see if you could.

Exactly. That’s why I didn’t understand why a signing service was sending me a job!

I don’t think you can but it’s always something to look into right? I’m trying to figure out how to get commission in both Texas and Florida, since I spend pretty much half the year in each place give or take a day. I own property in Florida, pay taxes there and have banking, vet, doctor, etc. but my driver’s license is in TX along with all those other things. It’s enough to qualify to buy a handgun and even get a concealed carry license there but not enough to qualify for a notary commission.

Where do you vote? If you don’t spend over 6 months here and don’t vote here in FL it’s not considered your “primary legal residence”. Remember, you can only have one primary residence -

That said, I’d contact the FL SOS - others have done it (one in particular I know had a commission both here and in MD for the same reason) - til someone reported her - this was years ago. By law you have to either live here or maintain a place of business here in order to be commissioned here.

You can only do a notarization for the state you are commissioned in. If your state allows dual commission you still need the commission for that state. Don’t cross lines that can get you in big trouble.

1 Like

If you are just over the state line, you may be able to find an agreed upon location in your state where you can sign for the requesting party. For instance a Starbucks or other cafe that is on your side of the border. Your commission is only for your state, but you may be signing documents for properties from anywhere in the U.S. Otherwise, you will need to have a commission in both states. Check with both states’ SOS for final answer.

1 Like