Texas Parking Lot Signings and Negative Title Company experience! HELOC/REFI

SOOOOOO!
I am doing a refi and since the state of Texas has placed a new law for, Covid protection +, when doing a remote Refinance or HELOC the signing must be done in/on the premise of a Law Firm or Title Company.

Because, I was close to two hours away from the couple, they offered to pick a venue to accomidate the signing.

I thought that was appropriate since they lived there, and new the area. Once the address was text to me we scheduled a time and met up.

Once the couple made it there. We gave our greetings and proceeded to complete the signing.

As we neared the end of the signing two…men came out of the door and asked what we were doing. I kindly said with a smile and warm tone ." We are doing a closing!" as if to greet a fellow businessperson who understood family Notary community.

“Well you can’t be here. It’s not allowed for you to do signings at a Title Company.”
with a slow realization it dawned on me that not everyone in this business is nice…chuckle…

“My apologies if I have offended but in the state of Texas they have recently changed the Notarization law the HELOCS and Refi’s must be signed at an Attorney’s office or a Title Company in order for theses papers to be legitimate even if performed in the parking lot. I at anytime I lead my clients to proceed with signing in an area that does not have those titles this whole process with be erradicated and in turn they will loose their refunds. Would you like for us to come in?”
“No, I would not”
“Would you like for us to leave?”
Then my couple looked at him with confusion and question…
“You can do this today but don’t come back”
“Okay, thank you sir we will be quick.”
Then both of them proceeded to leave the campus.
As we finished up with like 3 more signatures left and right as we were putting things up one quickly drove back in his silver truck, parked than asked me if he could steal a business card from me. Everything within me screamed, but I was compliant. He didn’t have a smile on his face and it came off as unfeeling

Strange

Anyway, I do understand that next time I will pick the venue and make a call. But that was just crazy.

That is a strange rule to sign at title or attorney office, or their parking lot. Does this make it more official or share the liability with them? I don’t fully understand the rule of having to sign at these offices only. I’d be nervous to share my business space with any third party unless I have some sort of liability waiver signed by them and a fee agreement to rent or share space for appointments that have nothing to do with my business. On the documents do you have to list the name of the title company even if it’s their parking lot?

Good call on picking the place yourself next time and calling to give them a heads up.

1 Like

From what I understand, no, but as far as documenting within my notary journal or making personal notations I keep a record.

1 Like