The Signing that won't End

Troll harder somewhere else. Never said any of that. Don’t put words in my mouth seeing as you do all the “NSA bashing” here. Don’t you have a $75 job to take and feel special about? LOL. Go do that.

3 Likes

I do apologize if I was mistaken concerning a previous post. However I do stand by what I said about your unprofessionlism here by bashing signers and calling them names behind their backs. This is not the place sir. You hold a Public Office which means be professional at all times.

Again, it’s ok to discuss experiences but you cross the line when you bash YOUR signers on social media. I will continue to call you and others out when you violate the Notary Code of Conduct. Have a great day sir.

Go troll someone who cares. You’re way too old to be creating drama on an online forum. Get help lol. This conversation is over. :clown_face:

3 Likes

If it is going to make you late for your next appointment and no one is available to answer questions, I would go to next appointment to be on time and come back for an additional fee.

I have had a signing where the CD was correct but the settlement statement was slightly off, however the settlement statement was an estimate only and they even signed a separate agreement showing it was an estimate only. The numbers were good on the CD so we were able to finish. In another hectic situation the settlement statement was off and the borrowers were able to print the updated one we received at the table. I have had a few hectic appoints with the numbers.

I also have another question, if the CD is correct. The settlement statement was not updated, title states oops here is the emailed updated one to you and borrower at the table to approve. Borrower can’t print and you are at the table can’t print it either. Can you have them sign the settlement statement signature page and let them know you will attach it to the one they just approved by email? Given that the settlement statement has a solo signature page. Would this work as a fix? Otherwise you either have to head back to print and come back possibly missing shipping cutoff and there might be funding issues. What do you guys think about this situation?

1 Like

As soon as she said she didn’t apply for refinances and wasn’t sure of the process, I would call and confirm with who hired on how to proceed. It sounds too confusing for you to try to sort out and best to have the hiring people advise. At least what I would do, I would call right away on how to proceed. If she is confused and not in the right state of mind to sign I would not try to proceed. As a notary we only have the willing and aware sign. You can note the file as refusal to sign and be done with it. Again, best to run it asap by the hiring company.

I called one lady a week ago and she was very worried about a scam. She suspected it was a scam and was never told a notary would be coming to her home. There was some sort of miscommunication or lack of communication. She signed most of the papers online already and assumed that she was done. It was for an out of state vehicle purchase. This was over a phone call when I called to confirm the signing. I let the dealer know and they called her right away. She later called me soon after and apologized. We set the appointment and the documents were signed.

2 Likes

Thank you, have a great day sir.

No ma’am, You would have to print the corrected one and have the signer sign.

Do you have a notary badge you wear?

OMG! Thanks for sharing your experience. Amazing!

Wow!! I’d be interested to find out the back end of that situation regarding the SS or Title company who hired you regarding their position on the matter? Specifically, if they wanted to pay you for your travel, print costs, and time?

I’m asking because it’s been my experience in life and in my former career that when people are that clueless they tend to distort facts and conflate them with their feelings. Often times they will convey to others that you did something to lend credence to their feelings. To that point, I’m wondering what they told the Lender or Title company about the encounter?

Ouch! I didn’t see all of this when I posted my question. I was just responding to the initial story, but Wow, a $75 job to feel special about?? That’s witty!! LOL

1 Like

I totally agree here. If they don’t know then I’m calling the SS or Title and I’m gone. However, I do understand the willingness to give them some time to figure things out. I think @noblenotary615 handled the situation perfectly!! He showed compassion and grace for their ignorance but remained true to his business model of locking in a 1 hour time period to maximize his company’s profitability.

As a result of this situation, I’m thinking of restructuring my “no sign fees”. Generally, I give a package deal i.e. print, travel, time, and drop. However, now I’m thinking about charging ala Carte when there’s a “no sign” situation. I’m thinking $.03 per page printed, $.56 a mile travel, and $100 per hour to include travel time and prep time. Maybe then, the MB, and Title will think twice about sending over sub-standard documents and failing to ensure their signers are ready to close before sending me out on a wild goose chase.

2 Likes

We are of similar minds when it comes to this business because like you, I too have a PERS pension and I’m just supplementing my retirement. However, this is still a business and as an industry we all want higher fees. To that end, you should ask for a higher fee, because the MB and/or Title asked for more of you than what they contracted you for. They didn’t contract you to fix their mistakes, that’s their job. They didn’t contract you to explain why each fee was the amount it was, that their job. They didn’t contract you to do the CD’s calculations, again, that’s their job. Therefore, if they want you to do their job, then they need to pay you for their job AND yours.

Think of it this way, if you were to make a mistake on your end, then I’ll bet they will want to dock your fee. So since they made mistakes on their end you should dock theirs. This is merely a philosophical statement or the “what and why” in the analysis. The “how” was already given in suggestions by our colleagues here. I plan to incorporate some of the suggestions into my business going forward especially the one where you leave and do your other signing and then come back later to do this one with of course an additional fee.

I’ve had similar situations are yours. The moment I sense the signer is uncooperative, intoxicated, confused, or demonstrate an awareness of what’s happening, I stop the process and leave. I’ve had SS and Title Companies insist that I return to close the deal. It’s obvious that their client wasn’t prepared to close.

2 Likes

What a story! Good you left without problems from her son.

1 Like