Thumb licking

:face_vomiting: That is absolutely awful!!! I donā€™t know what I would have done in that situation either. So rude and disrespectful. SMH! I feel for you!

People actually sign the signature page of a doc without glancing over the proceeding pages? What do you say when they start reading everything? When that happens I let them know they have 3 days to cancel and they can review their copy after I leave, but most people donā€™t want to sign without at least glancing at the pages. I put each type of doc (i.e. CD, Note, etc.) on the table in front of them with the signature page sticking out.
Your signings must go really fast, what do you say at the beginnings? I hate it when people are so paranoid that they think everyone is out to cheat them!

2 Likes

Oh wow, I feel for you! I donā€™t know what I would have done, thatā€™s probably worse than thumb-licking! I think some people are just oblivious about things they do, like scratching their ear - I had a boss once who was reviewing some docs and he stuck his thumb in his nostril and I nearly barfed!

1 Like

Agree with milanhro - I sit across from them and show them the entire document - not just the signature page - if you did that to me I wouldnā€™t sign until I saw the rest of the document.

1 Like

What bothers me the most is sometimes the lack of communication between loan originator and borrower(s). Borrowers wait for the signing date to ask questions. I have noticed that some loan originators and their clients only contact each other for loan approval, handling of the documents and closing date. I have been at borrowers where they have told me that they were surprised about the appointment, when I called for the scheduling.

2 Likes

The first is IDs then I go to the CD brief statement this ur loan amount interest rate no demand feature no prepayment penalty length of loan principal gonna trust escrow account total monthly payment closing cost amount of money that you owe or youā€™re getting back thatā€™s the most I go over with and I let them know that if they agree with CD the rest are docs that need signing for the lender title company and government.

Over 30 years of closings and only once did I have someone that wanted to read if you explain what they signing and what the doc is for they sign right away. Example this is ur mortgage this gets filed at the county clerks office please sign here. Easy peasy

1 Like

I ask borrowers if they have 2 small
Bowls at the signing table with a wet paper towel in each bowl. Then they use one to wet their fingers & I use one and you just touch the paper towel to moisten the finger - works perfectly

1 Like

I never give the documents to the signer to flip though. I explain the documents to them and continue letting them know that if they want to examine further that they have the exact same pages in their copy of the document. Signature pages only and I do all the flip throughs. I will however invest in some rubber fingers :grin:

1 Like

Every signer has the absolute right to read every word of every document. You are asking for trouble if you just present the signature page. If you feel uncomfortable letting them handle the execution copy, then let them leaf through the borrower copy. You cannot prevent them from accessing (read that holding, leafing, reading) the documents.

2 Likes

That was MlMcComb who just gives the signature page, not BluePen. She said she guides them to the signature page. Iā€™m guessing sort of like myself - show them the doc, go through the pages, indicate where signature required.

However, I will say this - yes, every signer has the absolute right to read every word of every document - but not on my time. If thatā€™s what they want to do, they have their 3-day rescission period to do it or weā€™ll need to reschedule so they can. Have them contact their loan officer to provide them with a copy of the docs to read at their leisure, then weā€™ll give it another try. Pack my toys and leave for my next appointment - believe me when they see you getting ready to leave they change their mind pretty quick - usually.

4 Likes

I tell borrowers ā€œyou have 3 business days to review and decide for cancelationā€ā€¦ I donā€™t incite them to read, very politely I constantly mention about the 3 days.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, I need to be more assertive. Some people are just snappy and intimidating. I did almost 900 signings in 2020 and most were ok, probably 40-50 took way longer than they should have.

1 Like

I just get the little Sortkwik moisteners and I have one marked for my and I sanitized the 2nd one for the client. I let them know itā€™s been sanitized. At least with the masks on now most people canā€™t lick their thumbs, lol.

2 Likes

I always present docs with the signature page on top. Saves people hunting through to look for it.

Also, I keep spare gloves in my bag. When I see a hand heading for a mouth, I say, ā€œHere, try these. They make handling paper much easier!ā€

1 Like

Hello All!
I want to send over a TIP. I use Pentel Hi-Polymer Eraser, White to flip through my pages. I learned this a long time ago do tax preparation. This really works! Give it a try and let me know what you think. I been using the eraser for over 20 years!!!

Flipping through pages is time-consuming, this speeds it up! :slight_smile:

Sandra Peacock

1 Like

I simply tell them, ā€œNo lickingā€ and I follow it with a little snicker. We all laugh and they donā€™t lick anymore. It works when you make like a joke.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good idea, especially now during COVID.

I definitely would sit back and stare at signer right in face or hold up the papers and say ā€œthere is funny smell on the paperā€ ask signer to take a whiff! :mask::sneezing_face::face_vomiting: haha

1 Like

I do the sameā€¦ CD details everything.