Time saving tips

I’m a newbee notary signing agent but have over 40 years experience in internal auditing in the banking industry. My company was independent so I had competition and I had to learn to move fast. Just like I’m learning as a notary. Believe me, I’m far from knowing it all and the ideas I’ve offered below may have appeared somewhere on this forum before, but I’ll list some tricks I’ve developed. I hope they prove useful to you.

1. I ordered rubber stamps for completing my journal entries: changeable date stamp, Errors & Omissions, Compliance Agreement, Power of Attorney/Correction Agreement, Signature Affidavit, Acknowledgement, Jurat, Deed of Trust, Trust Certificate, my name/Notary Public, and, California Driver’s License. I simply rubber stamp the appropriate stamp in my journal so I don’t have to write it all out. Saves a TON of time. The stamps I ordered come from rubberstampwarehouse.com and they run about $6-8 bucks each. I recommend using different color grips (you’ll see when you order).
  2. I use signing boards which are smooth and large (like placemat-size) so I don’t have inconsistent surfaces to contend with. They are flat and light and fit right in my briefcase. Borrowers are always impressed.
  3. I use the smoothest writing pen I can find because, believe it or not, it is less wear and tear on my hand when completing my journal. I had 29 notarizations on a single signing recently and the pen was terrific and I was not fatigued. I use cheap pens for my borrowers/signers but MY pen is glorious and smooooooth. Invest in an excellent mid-to-broad tip pen - you won’t be sorry.
  4. Carry a magnifying glass.
  5. Carry fingertip moistener like SortKWIK. Indispensible!
    Good luck to you, my colleagues. And, save some signings for ME!
7 Likes

what is a signing board?

I carry 3 signing boards which are smooth, placemat-sized pieces of finished material (plastic or light wood like mine) that I give each signer to use under their papers when they sign. I use a smaller one for me.
Kitchen tables, counters, ledges, etc. are too often dirty, uneven, crappy in some way to allow for a nice signature, so I use the boards instead. Helps ensure that when I apply my notary stamp, I get a nice, even impression on the acknowledgement or jurat.

2 Likes

What are they called to order them? I couldn’t find anything under just signing boards. Thanks!

And possibly answering my own question, I came across craft plywood in the correct dimensions for $4.99 per board.

There you go! You can even make your own.

@Bobby-CA

I do the same with the writing board! And I agree, everyone is usually impressed. I actually use ledger sized clipboards. I debated removing the clips but decided to leave them in place and they’ve come in handy when I’ve completed outdoor signings.

In that vein, I recommend adding paperweights to your bag for those outdoor signings. I’ve not performed a lot of loan closings outdoors, but I’ve done enough that it’s proven super helpful.

Also, more for general notary work, but I also recommend reading glasses. I have a +1.50, +2.00, and +2.50 pair from the dollar store in my bag. They’ve saved the day when I’ve gone to hospitals and nursing homes.

2 Likes

When I started, just a couple of months ago, I bought a couple of clipboards (per a suggestion). Have come in handy, for sure, especially when signing outside.

1 Like

Great tips, thank you!