Time to keep payments records/journal book

I’m In Florida State, and I have been doing closings as a signing agent for 7 years aprox. I have been asking NNA the question about how long I need to keep information about title companies payments and Journals books for closing done. Nobody can answer this question.
Does anybody know?

Journals…forever…or until you retire. Then you turn 'em over to the Clerk of Courts (title may vary by state) in your county of commission…and get a receipt. No clue what they do with 'em, but it’s no longer your problem. ‘Issues’ about notarizations can come up decades after the fact!
Payment records are ‘proof of income’ for tax purposes. No set time for this, but most ‘experts’ (of which I’m not one)…recommend at least 3 years. I’d say ‘lots longer’. An attorney acquaintance says ‘until you die’.

1 Like

Hi, I imagine that journals are forever, even though those properties must probably be sold already. I have been keeping orders with CK payment for those years. wow, boxes and more boxes. I think for income purposes already filed tax returns may be 4 yours are enough, I will ask my account, the thing that this profession as a signing agent, may be different.
Thank you Aritchter
I bit crazy right?

My husband laughs at me. I am that person that does not throw things away. I have tax documents going back to my first tax filing. Yes… I am that person, however my tax person told me he keeps his personal records for 10 years.

1 Like

I have my tax returns copies kept for 40 years!! including expenses. I’m thinking start shedding them. getting tired. Plus notary journals, and orders title companies’ copies. Insane.

1 Like

This Tax Pro makes the following recommendations as to record retention.

Federal and State Returns

Keep them for a minimum of 10 years. Under the rules there is no statute of limitations if you evade paying your taxes. If you’re accused of Tax Evasion, you’ll need all of your records for your defense. If accused of a crime or civil wrong doing, seek the advice of an Attorney. BTW Tax evasion is illegal, Tax avoidance is not. There’s a big difference between evading taxation and using the tax code to avoid or reduce your tax liability.

W2s and 1099s

Keep these for your lifetime. When you apply for Social Security, Disability, or many other Federal and State benefits and the government gets your lifetime earnings wrong, it can reduce your benefits.

The Self Employed

Keep your Tax and Income records for your lifetime. You may need these records if there’s an error in your income data on file with the Government.

With today’s scanning technology there’s no excuse for not keeping digital copies of your records. Be sure to update your record storage method as technology changes. DVDs and CDs have gone the way of the Dodo bird, and there’s no reason that Thumb and Jump drives won’t become obsolete some time in the future.

Always encrypt your records and update your encryption protocols. Some encryption service providers have gone out of business and some have lost business records permanently.

Be sure you have a transition or succession plan so your heirs, business partners, or executor will be able to access your records after you cross over the great divide.

Here are the IRS’s record retention guidelines. My recommendations exceed the IRS limits for the reasons cited above.

1 Like

Hi, thank you so much for your detailed information, a bit confusing for me, but the main essential is to keep records for 10 years and some forever. I’m already retired (keep working as a signing agent) but file taxes every year.
Again Thank you!!