Timesavers

I’m a newbee notary signing agent but have over 40 years experience in internal auditing in the banking industry. My company was independent so I had competition and I had to learn to move fast. Just like I’m learning as a notary. Believe me, I’m far from knowing it all and the ideas I’ve offered below may have appeared somewhere on this forum before, but I’ll list some tricks I’ve developed. I hope they prove useful to you.

1. I ordered rubber stamps for completing my journal entries: changeable date stamp, Errors & Omissions, Compliance Agreement, Power of Attorney/Correction Agreement, Signature Affidavit, Acknowledgement, Jurat, Deed of Trust, Trust Certificate, my name/Notary Public, and, California Driver’s License. I simply rubber stamp the appropriate stamp in my journal so I don’t have to write it all out. Saves a TON of time. The stamps I ordered come from rubberstampwarehouse.com and they run about $6-8 bucks each. I recommend using different color grips (you’ll see when you order).
  2. I use signing boards which are smooth and large (like placemat-size) so I don’t have inconsistent surfaces to contend with. They are flat and light and fit right in my briefcase. Borrowers are always impressed.
  3. I use the smoothest writing pen I can find because, believe it or not, it is less wear and tear on my hand when completing my journal. I had 29 notarizations on a single signing recently and the pen was terrific and I was not fatigued. I use cheap pens for my borrowers/signers but MY pen is glorious and smooooooth. Invest in an excellent mid-to-broad tip pen - you won’t be sorry.
  4. Carry a magnifying glass.
  5. Carry fingertip moistener like SortKWIK. Indispensible!
    Good luck to you, my colleagues. And, save some signings for ME!
6 Likes

Thank you for sharing your ideas. What state are you in? I’m in Texas, and somewhere in the back of my mind it seems like I read that we can’t use stamps in our journals. However, it’s quite possible that I’m completely wrong! I’m new and had planned to get started in May; but you know, the best laid plans….I started off on May 1st by breaking a finger and ended up having surgery last week.:weary: My surgeon said to expect a two-three month recovery. Realistically, I’m hoping by early fall to be off and running. I just don’t think I would be too successful attempting it using one hand. Please pass along any suggestions that you think might be helpful. I will definitely appreciate it.

Late reply here and my apologies, but @Bobby-CA - and to all other notaries - about the rubber stamps? You can buy the MoJo (MOdern JOurnal of Notarial Events) - they have many common docs listed - all you have to do is a check mark next to the doc you notarized - it also has A or J so you just circle if you did an ack or a jurat. It’s what I’ve used for years. This works well in most if not all states - except California - where they have to write out each and every doc name, time notarized - separate line item for each notarization.

Just a small suggestion.

2 Likes

Pam,
Your question about using ‘efficiency stamps’ is valid and the answer can be found by visiting Notary Journal Entries And Efficiency Stamps | NNA
Read the entire article because you’ll see that Texas is specifically noted. Good luck out there!

1 Like

Bobby, Thanks a bunch!!! Have a terrific week!!!

You are most welcome. It’s rough when you’re just starting out. Hang in there because if you do and your work is good and you get real efficient, you can actually make it in this wacky business.

1 Like

I read the article. Thanks so much!

Hi Bobby What are signing boards? Is it a clip board? Tell me the name of your pen? I am getting arthritis in my hands, and some days it is very difficult to sign the paperwork.

Signing boards are actually hard placemats that I hand over to the signers to make a clean, smooth writing surface. If you use them, stay away from wild prints and flowers and scenes and stuff like that; it’s very distracting. Use dark, solid colors. Makes a nice background for taking a picture of the signers’ ID.
I won’t give away my exclusive writing instruments but I will suggest you try BIC *Velocity *1.6 blue ink pens. They write beautifully. You can also try Pilot G2 1.0 pens. ****

Morgan…if you have trouble writing try this…many notaries carry them for their elderly signers and they swear by them

@LindaH-FL => I also carry PenAgain for elderly or handicapped. They simply LOVE them!

When you purchase them, the ink is BLACK; however, you can purchase Refills in BLUE. PRICE: A set of [3] PenAgain pens on Amazon currently $8.61.

1 Like