Title wants me to return to borrower to fix their error for no fee

Hi all,

A QC person at a title company contacted me saying I didn’t return a notarized form because it wasn’t in their scan (they no longer have the paper file). I am 100% sure it was notarized and returned via fedex due to my journal entry. I told them this was the case, didn’t hear from him for a week, and he just reached out again asking me when I was going to return to the borrower to have it redone. It seems his assumption is that I’m going to do it for free, even though I did my job and returned the fully executed paper form.

Does anyone have experience and / or a suggestion on how to handle this? I delete my scan PDFs immediately after upload confirmation, so I have no proof other than my journal and my word. My assumption is that their scanner pulled two pages at once and missed the form, or someone misplaced it along the way.

Seems I can either tell them I’m happy to do it for an extra fee or tell them I’m confident I returned it but I’ll do it this one time as a courtesy.

All wisdom and suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Josh

1 Like

Hi Josh,

As a beginner, I went through this with a signing company, only the form wasn’t in the original paperwork, they insisted that it was (I usually keep for 7-10 business days). I went and signed the missed paperwork, only because I was new and was in the process of building relationships. It worked to my advantage and now I am one of their preferred. If this is a new company and you want that relationship, then a one time (of course on your time) shouldn’t hurt

1 Like

One thing I learned was to save the scanbacks for at least 2 weeks, then delete from my system. Lately what I’ve been doing is to save until I get paid.

6 Likes

Thank you for the feedback @Latoniasonay503. I imagine they will not be a company I want to work with in the long run, given their low fees, but they have been provided steady business so far, so this is probably the way I’ll go.

Regarding keeping files, it was my understanding I had to delete them after sending given the sensitive private info the contain for the borrowers. Is it acceptable to hang on to them that long?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Thanks, @BluePenNotary,

I’ll ask you the same question I had for @Latoniasonay503… Regarding keeping files, it was my understanding I had to delete them after sending given the sensitive private info the contain for the borrowers. Is it acceptable to hang on to them that long?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

I’ve had this happen to me twice when they didn’t upload title docs and tried to tell me that I didn’t send them back. I debated with them for an email or two, then decided that I would be the bigger person and go back to the signer to get them done. Once I got them signed and scanned, they told me that they didn’t need the originals only the scanned copies. I politely apologized for the confustion, and that I was happy to have fixed the situation. Keeping the relationship is much more important than more money on this one. Now if it continues to happen…maybe I will change my mind.

3 Likes

Some"agreements" with agency require you delete immediately.
Keeping downloads and scans till paid helps when problem comes up because they will ALL blame you to fix their screw up. Doesn’t happen often if you’re checking your work but they will treat you like a criminal.

2 Likes

Don’t know if it’s legal or not, but I do remember when doing my first signings with C2C they suggested for me to upload and keep documents until everything’s clear and the package received. They even suggested to take a picture of the dropbox bin from FedEx or UPS, when dropping documents as proof. Their concern was that if someone complains, regardless not my fault, I have to prove that I did my part.

OK so I’m really new here but when you do a signing do you scan and keep the copy? If so how long do you keep it? I would think if you have that you could send it to them. That’s my plan anyway

That is the thing. The signing companies are not treating signing agents as business owners on some assignments their instructions are as onerous as an employee manual. I think that as long as they are secure and you comply with the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act you make the decision.

2 Likes

If I couldn’t prove document was or was not, I’d just chalk it up. I mean there have been time when it has been my fault and although Title didn’t pay me for going back out, at least they didn’t charge me for shipping afterwards.

As far as keeping docs, I usually wait three days. In D.C. Borrowers have a 3 Day Right of Recession for primary residence. Afterwards, I delete IDs and Scanbacks.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @tfsigningservices!

Thanks for the feedback @2mkkennedy!

Thanks @BluePenNotary!

Hi @earnestware,

I (and I think most) only scan when scanbacks are required. If not required, it’s not a good use of your time.

Thank @yournotarysigning!

Thanks @James_Muhammad!

Have title send you a copy of the scans securely, so you can review them first. They always make mistakes…

1 Like

I keep copies of scanbacks in an encrypted password protected scan disc until I get paid. If there is a question after I already get paid by the signing service or title company then I still make them accountable. It happened to me twice already before getting paid and I looked up the documents and both times were their faults.

2 Likes

Exactly my point! You have to prove that is not your error.