Travel fee for notary signing agents

From your handbook:

"The Department of Administration determines the mileage fee through its General
Accounting Office. The mileage fee schedule is posted at www.gao.az.gov/travel. "

Check on their website for their current fee

Thank you Linda H. So, are you saying that it will say that the rate shown IS the “current” rate as of January 2021? Just checking “my” understanding of your answer.

According to your handbook, the fee you are allowed to charge for travel is the fee set for AZ employees, which fee is set by the Department of Administration. Here’s the link for your handbook

http://azsos.gov/business/notary-public

On the left you’ll see a link to the handbook in pdf form - it’s on page 24 - here’s the full quote:

“Mileage fees: can be charged. A notary public may charge a travel mileage, if he or she travels a distance to perform a notarization. The travel mileage fee is the amount allowed Arizona state employees. The Department of Administration determines the mileage fee through its General Accounting Office. The mileage fee schedule is posted at www.gao.az.gov/travel. ”

Hope this helps.

I should add this is the 2019 version - which is why I suggested you check directly with the above website for more current information

Again, thank you very much Linda H. That is the website I have gone to before but because it has the date of 11/15/06 right next to (Personal Vehicle Mileage Reimbursement Rate), I was hoping there was an update somewhere that I was unaware of. It’s quite disappointing that it has not been increased since then, ugh. Of well, such is life. Thank you very much for your time and effort in answering my question. Have a wonderful evening and stay healthy and safe!!

Hey there friend. Nice to see you on this site!

Notary guidelines are set by your Secretary of State. Most states will have a manual for notaries which includes all the information about operating your business in that state, which will include fees and allowable mileage rates. The federal government sets the rate for reimbursement which you must follow for the purpose of taxes. However, that may be different than what you may be allowed to charge. In WA state, we can charge a rate that must be disclosed to the signer before entering into any transaction.
You should go into your contract with the Law firm with set rates. But, that does not mean one rate for all transactions. For instance, you can set a standard rate for signings in your county of $X travel fee. You can add additional for any signings you may do in adjoining counties. You can also establish a rate for documents up to xxxpages, establishing a different rate for pages that exceed that range. You may also want to have a courier rate for anything you need to pick up and or deliver. So, think of your services as a la carte with a flat rate for each item. Then based upon the service request, your contract partner will be able to estimate what your cost would be for a particular client. It will save you the headache of trying to reinvent the wheel for each client and having to explain yourself for minor differences. Hope this helps.