Travel fee for notary signing agents

I have the opportunity to contract with an estate law practice to go to their clients that aren’t able to make it to the office to sign. I am in California so legally can only charge $15 per signature. How much should I charge for traveling? Should I do a flat fee or go per mile? Does anyone have experience with this or is there a standard travel rate? Thanks for your help

I’d talk with your lawyer/client & see what would make him happier: a BIG flat fee for anywhere OR a variable fee, depending upon drive time/mileage? Also, ask how many notarizations are generally in a pkg. as that could impact your income. 1? 20? Will you be picking up & delivering? Probably Self-schedule? Ask a LOT of questions so you know what you’re getting into. If I want my house painted, don’t you think the painter would want to know whether my house is a 1 bdrm cottage or a 14 bdrm mansion before he quoted a price?

3 Likes

I would research before you charge too high or too low,

When I called for a pet trainer, they asked what area of town I live in and zip code?
Google GPS to calculate the mileage fee & time = Travel Fees
or (just flat rate of gas price in your area)

I agree, don’t want to over or under charge. Ive googled it and came up with anywhere from $10-$500!! Which doesn’t really narrow it down lol

In will be getting paid directly from the signer so im kinda at a loss

Couple other things to consider:

1. Will clients be reviewing the documents while you sit there? That’s time lost (and time is money) unless you get paid an hourly fee…which I think you should;

2. Will you need to provide witnesses and pay them?

3. I, personally, would determine a flat fee for travel within a certain mileage area (for me here my travel fee is $25-$35, dependant upon where in my county I’m going; if outside my county, $50+)

I work for attorneys here who do estate documents - I can see a fee of $200-$250 for my services going to their homes…you may want more if you have to pick up and deliver, and sit there while they read.

JMO

25-50 i would say is a good range

JMO, What county are you in?

I’m in Columbia County, Florida

I charge $100 per mile

$1.00 per mile - sorry

Hosamiam

What state are you in?

Be sure to check with CA to make sure they do not have a travel fee guideline - someone here can clarify it, too. I’m in IL and they have no stipulation on travel fees, but they only allow $1/per signature. Woo hoo. LOL

You cant be serious? $1? Thats got to be a typo, right? If not That’s ridiculous

One whole dollar. It has changed since my 1st commission in the 80’s.

Why is $1/mile ridiculous?

LimdaH. Read the comments.

She said $1/signature

My apologies - thought you were referring to $1/mile. My mistake

Does anyone know if the maximum allowed to charge for travel in AZ has been increased from $0.445/mi? Or is it still this amount? I know that on your taxes it’s more per mile for expenses but as far as being allowed to charge for the travel is what I am wondering if it has been increased.

No worries. Actually $1/mile would be pretty good, lol