Two-size paper printing

From whom do you lease and what model printer do they give to you? Print speed?

Bottom line it is just too expensive. Even with HP’s awesome Instant Ink service. Some of us print 5,000 to 8.000 pages a month and some of us print between 18,000 and 25,000 pages a month. Ink Jet looks great, I agree but at more than a couple thousand a month it is just way too expensive. Mark Wills from the famous Loan Signing System training uses a Brother 5200, and the 6200 I have found is the same thing only faster. You need two drawers like on your 9025e, but laser if you print thousands…

Again, my HP 9025e prints automatically letter and legal depending what comes up. In the print dialog box for the 9025e you will see something to the effect of “choose paper by pdf size” or something like that. And you can always use notary rotary’s page sorter and break up on mixed file into letter and legal… but really your 9025e does that!

I lease from Ricoh.com. I have a Ricoh P800 model with 2 trays. It holds 5 additional trays. It prints 57 ppm.

I have used a inkjet for 10 years and no company ever questions it - I am honest when I sign up with companies and ask if I have laser printer - I don’t check it off
It is not a standard rule…

1 Like

“It’s not a standard rule”

Yes it is…and has been for years…just because you haven’t been caught yet doesn’t mean it’s right.

Speaking from almost 40 years in the mortgage industry…not off the top of my head or out of my you-know-what

But you do you…and good luck with it

2 Likes

As an example of why…outside mortgages… I have receipts for my appliances 6-9years old … I pulled them last week for service info…not printed on laser and they’ve faded to invisible…can’t read them. This is a major issue in the lending industry should the loan go sideways and have to be foreclosed…or it’s paid off and the original note has to be returned to borrowers marked “PAID IN FULL”…

2 Likes

Interesting, Linda. Thanks for the info. I always wondered why laser is specified!

There are some HUD regulations for document set up requirements. They basically have a set up that’s required for the forms to be set up specifically approved for laser printing, this can include signatures areas of the document.

And FYI, try getting caught in the rain as you are running to the car…inkjet runs, laserjet does not. As for an industry standard, title companies used to require their documents only be printed on a laser printer and would ding you (not pay) if you didn’t. This did begin back in the day when PDF files were not the norm. Partly though, it was also because to print these files, you also needed a particular type of printer (I forget the correct designation now) based on the platform they used to send you the documents. But, it is also true that I don’t see anyone “requiring” it any more. Not only aren’t title companies saying laserjet is required, if documents are changed and you are sitting at the borrower’s home, they will gladly forward the documents to be printed by the borrower. Most people only have inkjet in their homes, not laser printers, and title companies/lenders are aware of this. So maybe that is why things have changed.

1 Like

I use the page sorter using Notary Rotary it’s free.

1 Like

Notaryme, I think you’re referring to PCL6 ? I remember that. All I remember when they started is my attorney boss almost had a coronary at how much he had to spend on a new printer if he wanted to continue doing closings in CT - in CT he was also a title agent…it was hysterical.

You’re probably spending more money on ink!

I’d like to know what printer and cartridge you are getting a 10,000 page yield from. At most, each brand is 3,000; the typical yield is 2,600 because you factor in a 10-15% yield loss printing on legal + size paper.

1 Like

Laser is waaaaay cheaper than inkjet, and is the professional way!

2 Likes

Not sure which printer you have-mine is the HP 428dfw, and the cartridge is either 58A (3000 pg yield) or 58X (high yield, 10,000 pages). The HP 58X is $240 and I will NOT pay that. I buy compatible from Amazon, there are dozens, and I usually get 2 for about $89. Yes, this might void my warranty but with how much I save on toner cartridges I could have purchased 10 printers brand new. So I’m willing to risk that.

There is a little gold chip on the top left side of the cartridge that needs to be changed each time you change to a new one (you’ll have one from an HP OEM cartridge, which comes with the printer new) that you slide out using a tweezers and slide into the slot on the compatible one. The compatible cartridges usually include a cool little kit with a tweezers or, as is the case with the last one I just bought, a super cool little needle nose pliers. Without that chip it won’t run so don’t lose it-which is what I did last month and then had to buy an HP cartridge in order to get another chip.

I do about 25 signings a week and can get a little over 2 weeks from each cartridge. Just search on Amazon using your printer’s cartridge number and all compatible choices pop up. Hope that helps-

Hey there- how much does this run each month?? I’ve recently started thinking about doing the same…

It depends on how much paper you expect to go thru each month. I do this part-time and roughly use about 10,000 sheets that costs $0.009 per sheet. The cost to rent the printer is $137/mo that includes a 2nd tray, toner, and service.

TN880 Super High Yield Mono Laser Toner Cartridge is 12,000 pages.

Notary Rotary has a page separator on its site you can use to determine whether the page is legal or letter. You just have to put them in the order that is shown.

1 Like