Very confused about the RON process

I am located in Pennsylvania. I was approved through my DOS to complete electronic notarizations almost 2 years ago but have never actually finished the process because I have found it extremely confusing. I am confused about multiple things so I will separate it all.

1. I am confused about my next step. I have went to every website for every approved vendor and each one seems like they do not bring business to you. Some of them are called a hybrid where you can bring your own customers and the website MIGHT provide you with customers as well. So would it make sense to actually market to title companies to actually gain clients using RON already, rather than even signing up for any of these platforms? If so, wouldn’t I be signing in with their platform so there is no longer a need to pay for a membership on the website myself? Also, do you have experience with a platform that truly does send you a decent volume of work?

BUT if that is the case, then what is the next step considered because my letter of approval for DOS says…The DOS will inform the notary solution providers that you select that you have registered to perform notarial acts. The solution provider will notify the DOS after it issues an electronic notarization solution to you.

1. I am also confused because I have read many notaries stating that with RON they are notarizing documents for people in every other state or even other countries but my letter of approval says that my authority to act as an e-notary will permit me to act as an electronic notary in all 67 COUNTIES.

I’m not sure if this post even makes sense honestly. Like I said I am very confused about the whole process so any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

I use the Notarize platform bc there’s no monthly fee and I pay per transaction(# of stamps).
However, I bring my clients to the platform.

I’m also a PA notary(MD & VA as well). You can electronically notarize for anyone in the country as long as you are within the state borders when doing so.

Hope some of that helps.

1 Like

I am in Pennsylvania as well. I’m on 7 platforms, but not active on them all. The big misconception is that you will be given customers by being a RON notary. There are a few platforms available in Pennsylvania that offer on demand customers. First, none of them will give YOU enough work to make a living. Second, there are hundreds, if not more notaries trying to grab the handful of customers and those go quick. Personally, I cannot stand the thought of sitting in front of my computer continuously refreshing my screen while only getting 1 or 2 opportunities to make $5-$10 for the open call.

Honestly, RON works best when you bring your own customers. In working with various platforms I know each has its strengths and weaknesses. Some are more stable meaning not a lot of bugs, some are more user friendly.

Did you purchase your digital certificate once you receive your e-commission? That is required for most platforms, although I know one provides it but you can’t use it elsewhere.

Title companies: there is only one that I am getting some work from and I don’t pay for that platform. This is through AMROCK and from what I’ve been told, they aren’t adding new notaries at this time. Pavaso also works with title companies, but you need to market to them. There is an annual fee associated with it. I know that Notarize is working with at least one and I’m trying to figure out how to get onboard with them. NotaryCam also offers loan signings, however their onboarding process is slow. My application is still being reviewed. I submitted to them at the same time as Pavaso and Notarize (2-3 weeks ago for context).

You can be located in any county in Pennsylvania while doing RON which is the same as in person. With RON, it doesn’t matter where the signer is. I have notarized documents across the US and several countries as well. The catch for notarizing documents for people in other countries is that the document must pertain to business in the US.

If you want to have a very detailed conversation about what I have learned on my RON journey feel free to contact me directly. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

1 Like

What I understand from your post is that you have completed step 1 of a 3 step process. Getting your endorsement from your DOS as a notary now eligible to engage in RON notarization just means that you are authorized to do so under your state banner as “an officer of the court”. You now have to register your digital footprint and secure your digital certificate as a RON capable notary. You can do this with companies such as IdenTrust and Docusign (there are probably others). I use IdenTrust and can tell you that your certificate through them is good for 3 years. And, yes, there is a cost to you for this.
Once you have your digital certificate, you can use it through companies you are signed up with as a RON certified notary such as AMROCK or ServiceLink who will offer RON jobs to you. Or, you can do so independently by purchasing a subscription for platform use through a company like SignIX and also DocuSign. Through each of these venues you will upload your digital certificate that you have purchased through one of the secure encrypted service providers (mentioned above). Registering through one of the platform providers should not cost you anything. Registering as an independent will cost you for the subscription, usually on an annual basis. You will need to advertise your services as a RON provider in order to secure business. I am signed up with SignIX and have provided RON services nationally and internationally. Business has slowly increased for me in this sector as people get more comfortable with the process. RON pays a little better (in WA state GNW is $10/stamp; RON is $25/stamp). Some people want the convenience, but don’t understand and are reluctant to pay the higher price. But, I believe there is more exposure to you as a notary doing RON. Especially doing so on international requests. Please make sure you know all the regulations and how to’s before you accept an assignment. Make sure you’ve done everything possible to cover yourself. If you are going to offer RON internationally, it is a good idea to also offer Apostille services, as often these will go hand-in-hand. This is the moneymaker combination. But, again, evaluate the risks! Good luck to you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.