Wearing a lanyard

Personally, I believe you are over-thinking a simple request. Your first line says it all – “it’s the issue you have”. Once you’ve complied with the request to show them a piece of ID, the rest is immaterial, if it is not the client’s issue. We are, after all, in a customer service profession.

It is possible for them to ask to see a commission and then to not believe that it is an actual commission, that’s people for you, guess they’ll have to trust title then. ITS NOT THEIR CALL!!!
most of them don’t even know what a notary is, that’s why title gave them a notary instead of trusting them to find one. check mate :wink:

that makes sense to me :slight_smile:

I wear a lanyard that shows my business card on both sides. On the back side is a QR Code that goes to my website review page. I decided to do this to make sure I add reviews to my website at the end of the meeting. I have yet to have any client not want to leave a review or have anything to say as if they don’t like this process. I think it’s about what your comfort level is. I text a picture of the same business card front and back upon confirming the appointment, so clients will know beforehand who they may be potentially doing business with.

5 Likes

I like that idea lisa5 very smart

1 Like

I like the idea of a lanyard with some type of ID and maybe photo too. Especially if I can have my regular notary profile photo and my company branded colors and logo put onto it too. Especially if it puts the signers at ease upon my arrival.

3 Likes

yeah now that I think about it that is also good for marketing

2 Likes

Love the idea of the QR code! :star_struck: Makes for a fun conversation piece too!

2 Likes

I feel that it a courtesy to them. I tell them that I need to see their ID and I show them mine. I tell them I am showing you my ID to verify that I am who I said that I am. I need your ID as verification of who you are. My customers have been very appreciative of this process. I do have a lanyard with an ID that I generated but I think the state issued ID is more credible to the customer.

2 Likes

National Notary Association signing agent training encourages all signing agents to show the signers our proof of identity when we arrive at their home/signing location. So I wear my gov’t issued ID on a lanyard for signings for convenience – and for safety. My hands are usually already full and I really don’t want to be digging through my purse trying to fish out my ID as I am standing there at the door. I don’t want to accidentally drop it or lose it. Having it around my neck is quick, easy, no chance of losing it.

I attach my notary business card with the metal clip on the borrower’s set of documents. Not trying to sell the signers my services, mind you, just want them to know who did the signing with them, in case there is an issue with notarization. If they have kudos for me (or complaints), they know who their notary was.

3 Likes

Thats so weird That they would be upset by that lol. That litteraly the notaries main job.

1 Like

ok thanks I’ll do that

1 Like

I know right?!! and title would have already told them about it also

In the short period of nine years of performing loan signings, I have never been asked for an I.D. I guess it’s my persona, professional business casual attire, coach bag, big stack of papers, and a big smile. I always step five feet back from their entrance, to disarm the appearance of being a “threat”. Especially, since I am sort of a big short black fellow coming to people’s doors. My personality “screams”, let’s have a wonderful experience, get things done, so you can get your money…Before I know it, people are trying to feed me, offer me drinks, their kids want to play with me and their dogs and cats want to lick me and sat next to me… LOL!!! So, I have never considered using a lanyard or carry my notary commission certificate. Oh, a few people have asked what color and type of car do I drive. On a serious note, I think it all starts with the confirmation phone call. After I have completed the confirmation call, people know my voice and have a sense of expectations of who I am. They have know doubt upon my arrival. I love working with people.

1 Like

@Carmen_Lane Excellent! You are right, NNA encourages all NSAs to show the signers proof of our identity upon arrival to their home. It makes sense to wear the government-issued ID on the lanyard. That is the right way to do it. :+1: :grinning:

3 Likes

I have not been asked to see my ID. However, I wear a badge on a lanyard to show signers if they ask. I do it because I refuse to show anyone my driver’s license or any other form of ID that has my personal information on it. It’s my personal preference and I will continue to wear it.

2 Likes

I feel the same way about showing my ID. Cool. Did you make the badge if I might ask?

The only time, as a notary, that I wear a name badge is when I do elections work. It’s a pre-printed red, white, and blue sticker that says something like “Election Worker”. My name is written in with a marker. The connection to being a notary is that after the votes are counted, sometimes the candidates are hanging around to see the results. I can administer the oaths of office to the winners.

I do have a business card that I give out on request.

1 Like

We seem to be operating from different perspectives of what constitutes ID. In my estimation ID is something that is issued to you by a governing/representative authority such as a state issued ID card/driver’s license, passport, birth certificate, transportation card (with picture), company issued ID, etc. Most anything else is just a piece of paper with information on it that you have created with or without a picture such as a business card, nametag, etc. People either trust who you or title say you are or they don’t. I don’t see the issue with giving them a little bit of comfort about your presence by producing what they ask for in the form of ID. Behaving any other way on our part creates an unnecessary tension in this short-term encounter that serves neither of us. But this works two ways. You have no idea who they are either and you are in unknown territory, although you may have all their identifying information in their signing packets. Our presence as notaries creates/solidifies the lasting impression of the entire process for whatever reason we are there.

2 Likes

Yes. I made it through Etsy if I remember correctly. I wear it and noone every asks me for my ID.

1 Like