What is with people and their pets!

Do the dogs know that you have bacon strips in your purse when you go in to the home? Do you pet the dog while your doing the signings?

All I can say isā€¦A to the MEN!!! I hope borrowers read this. Signings is not a social outdoor event for pets!!! You said this beautifully!!!

OHHHH yes. They smell them. Cats too, lol! I always ask before giving the treat in case there are allergies, etc. I recently had a 178 pound Great Dane stand right next to me and set his big face right on the table the whole time I was signing. To me it just makes things interesting but I can see where if someone is not a really big animal person it would be annoying. But for me itā€™s so fun!!

And yes, I pet all animals! Any who let me!! Not only because I just love them and feel they are a gift from heaven, but it also is an excellent icebreaker with the borrower. They immediately trust me for some reason and it helps make the signing more fun.

1 Like

Iā€™m the same I absolutely love dogs and sometimes the borrowers look like they want to put the dog away but I tell them that I love dogs and I donā€™t mind them at all I have absolutely no issues with dogs. Do you ever see huskies in the houses?

2 Likes

Alllllll the time! They are one of my very favorites! I like getting them to ā€œtalkā€ to me (not hard to do with a Husky!).

My house was broken into in November, and I had to get to a signing immediately (late night and not able to get someone else at the last hour). I was afraid to leave my 12 lb Shetland Sheepdog home alone unlocked so she came with me. I planned to leave her in the car but the borrower went nuts when he saw her (she IS pretty darn cute) and insisted I bring her in. She played with their two children and had a great old timeā€¦those borrowers made a point of telling the lender how pleased they were with the signing in general, and it led to me becoming a direct signing agent for them.

Of course, I know my dog is bonkers for kids and there was no risk and she never ever has accidents in the house before I agreed to bring her in. But animals are wonderful and my favorite part of my job. Glad to hear you feel the same!

1 Like

ROFL! Too funny! p.s. try flavored milk bones. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea I think Iā€™ll start bringing treats too but if course Iā€™ll make sure if itā€™s ok with the owners. I love huskies haha dogs are very friendly at the signings they make it so much better.

Iā€™d probably pick smaller dry treats compared to beggin strips. They have a strong scent enough where your bag will smell with them (in my opinion). They also can make the dog super hyper, not sure what theyā€™re made with. Many people around here feed their dogs better than they feed their children so id probably need organic dog treats. The average home price in my area and the area I cover is 800k. Smaller cracker type dog bone treat is a good option. Maybe stickers for kids. I had one signing that took two hours. I made a paper airplane for their son to try to keep him busy. They gave him a few lollipops throughout to keep him busy and had a movie playing. Smaller home so not much space either. They did have their dog outside during the appointment.

In most of my appointments the owners do have their children in another room and pets put away but not always. I donā€™t mind as long as the document will not be damaged.

And the reason it took two hours, they kept wanting to call and confirm information also had to cross out a couple names for the wife on her name affidavit. All for good reason, a few years ago their refinance caused her to be tied to other names and have major credit issues, she spent a long time trying to clear up. She even said identify theft. We took steps to call and confirm with the lender so they felt comfortable with refinancing again.

Do you give the dogs treats too?

I donā€™t but I thought about carrying some of those cookie looking mini dog bones. Iā€™m too nervous too feed someoneā€™s dog in my county. People around here have their dog on raw diet or vegan or gluten free or organic. I would have a hard time deciding on what type of treat to carry.

I agree! I donā€™t have pets in my home not because I donā€™t like them, but because I just donā€™t have time to take care of them and I donā€™t have anyone to clean up after them! LOL.

When I go to a home I tell them to put the pets away for two reasons: 1.) The petā€™s hair may get on my clothes and I have other appointments I have to go to and donā€™t want to unknowingly take it to someoneā€™s house who may be allergic to pet hair.; and 2.) Most importantly, if the pet gets on the documents, or their saliva gets on the documents, or they spill something on the documents, the lender may not accept the package and we may have to do this all over again at a later time, which may cause you to loose your current rate lock. Generally, when I say the latter, they happily put the pets away. Now, I know I have the signerā€™s package there to switch out documents when needed, but I donā€™t want to as it adds more time at the location, and Iā€™m trying to get out of there as quickly as possible, not stay there longer and be late for other appointments.

Bottom line is that this is a business and Iā€™m a businessman. Iā€™m there for business to make sure I do my part so you can get the money you seek. I deal with million dollar homes where people are looking to collect from $300K to half a million dollars. Thatā€™s too much money on the line to leave open to mistakes because of a cute petā€™s whims. For the 1 hour or less that Iā€™m there, put the animal(s) away, lets get this money done right, and you can go back to playing with the animal(s) upon my exit. I donā€™t think thatā€™s too much to ask for (1 hour of no pets for $500K in 3 business days).

2 Likes

I will never tell a pet owner to put their pets away I love dogs they make my day and I love them so much I just want to give them a bunch of treats

2 Likes

This is a BUSINESS. Whether we love animals or not, if there are some who prefer to not have animals jumping, sniffing, licking, snarling and barking at them so that they may focus and complete a signing to the best of their ability with no errors, and get to their next signing timely, so be it. And those folks should not be made to feel like theyā€™re doing something wrong by having that expectation.

2 Likes

I had a signing last night and the owners had two cats. Forget the type of cat but theyā€™re the ones that have the cheetah looking print. They were climbers. They built them a little tree house on the ceiling. The cats were randomly jumping and climbing.

1 Like

Iā€™m jaded at this point. Most of my closings have some sort of pet and I leave it to the discretion of the signer. Iā€™ve had golden retrievers sit on my lap (multiple times), kittens climb my leg, hell just last friday the signer had a pet bat fly around and her house was less than 1000 square feet. My closings usually last less than half and hour so the faster we settle in the faster Iā€™m out

My favorite closings are those with pets I tell them as I tell my visitors, this is their home, if you donā€™t like pups donā€™t come inside. Not a fan of cats, but like I say itā€™s their home. Tell you a lot about a person who love pets. Off to start my day, with 5 closings, hopefully I get to see some cute pups!

1 Like

5 closings ! Wow are these SSā€™s or TCā€™s?

I am what is considered a highly rated signing agent. I get 90% of my closings from Snap Docs. I have completed over 1400 closings here in Texas. I fo at least 20 closings a week. Yes I could do have a full time job. however, I have been at my present employer for 20 years and work from home, with full benefits
My full-time do not require me to sit in front a computer all day. Which allow the flexibility to do multiple closings a day.

Obtw met two pups today at my closings.

1 Like