What Kind Of Insurance Do I Need For GNW?

It is recommended that all notaries purchase an errors & omissions insurance policy.

What is E&O, anyways? From Investopedia

Errors and omissions insurance (E&O) is a type of professional liability insurance that protects companies, their workers, and other professionals (that’s you, a notary!) against claims of inadequate work or negligent actions.

In short, E&O covers you/your business in case you make a mistake while notarizing a document. If that mistake results in a financial loss for your client, you can be on the hook for that loss. E&O will pay your claim and any legal expenses, up to your policy limit, should you face a lawsuit.

I already have a notary bond, isn’t that enough?

No!

A notary bond is designed to protect the public, not the notary. If your surety company pays a claim on your behalf, you will be required to pay them back for that amount.

How much E&O do I need for GNW?

Recommendations for notary E&O limits range from $25,000 - $1M.

$100,000 is the sweet spot for GNW. A higher limit is generally not required but you may choose to go higher for peace of mind.

Where can I purchase E&O insurance?

We recommend checking-out the following insurance carriers:

Pro Tip - Once you receive a copy of your policy, read through it thoroughly. Every page, no skimming! It’s important to have a complete understanding of your coverage.

Have more questions? Please contact us here.