What to charge a title company

What do you charge when you work directly for title companies? Do you charge differently for home sale, refi, and purchase?

Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I think it depends on where you live. In Vegas (from my experience so far), the price ranges from $125-$175 for mobile. And $60-$75 for in-office signings.

2 Likes

I, personally, never did. I charged the same whether signing service or title company. My fee for loan signings was my fee and it was the same across the board - the work was the same - just a different entity - as long as the fee that went into my pocket was acceptable to me I did not charge more or less for one than the other.

JMO and my own personal practice

3 Likes

I’m pretty new but paying to be party of something where there is probably no return, I wouldn’t. I hear there are many scams out there. Good luck!

1 Like

Check your CD. Title is paying MUCH more than your SS. Where SS is paying $90/$85/$75 to the signing agent, title is paying the SS $250 or more. Give title a deal $125-$150 to you. It’s a no-brainer!

1 Like

She isn’t asking about paying someone, she’s asking about the fee to charge them. <3

In CA I get $175 for seller/buyer/refis, $300 if there’s a 2nd loan, from three of my escrow officers (all same title co) but from my 4th officer (different title co) I get only $100 for seller and $150 for buyer/refi. Why do I continue doing signings for the 4th officer? Because she’s the first one who gave me a chance when I was a brand new notary…loyalty and gratitude are everything!

10 Likes

When I was just starting and occasionally got a call from Title or Escrow directly, I learned to first ask what they typically pay, because California tends to pay higher notary fees. Quite the sticker shock to Title CO’s from some other states. Often for out of state loans we would meet in the middle price wise. I didn’t want to underpay myself, but also didn’t want to overcharge or scare away Title & Escrow companies.

2 Likes

My answer to them is “What is your standard rate of pay?” Sometimes they say lower than I usually do but most of the time they actually say more than I would ask. I reply that their rate will be fine. If it is less, then I say what I would like to receive based on distance, pages, type of loan.

4 Likes

That is helpful. Thank you very much.

CA – Loyalty matters! I have two Signing services I continue to take lesser paying jobs from for that very reason.

$150-$175, SS are taking a large chunk of our fee. I suppose loyalty is a thing with SS not in my experience. I find that they only care about the current signing and will send signings out to the lowest bidder. Now my title companies and attorneys have been all about loyalty and I will bend over backwards for them.

1 Like

What does SS Stand for? Im doing research to see if its worth starting a notary side business.

1 Like

Hey Pam, SS stands for signing service.

How can you bypass the SS from the title co. Do you accept the signing from signing service first then look to see who the title company is and offer them your charges and provide them your direct info and turn around and decline the order from the SS? And if so, would that hurt your rating with the signing service especially if they use snap docs or signingorder.com?

I’ve never signed up with any SS’s and if one contacts me I tell them to remove me from their list. !