What would you do in this situation

Document requires signer to write marital status
Signer declares: Why do they need to know that? I’m not married and I’ve never been married!!
Notary sees an obvious gold wedding ring on left hand of signer…

1 Like

Is the document a statement/affidavit of that status? And are you notarizing it?

1 Like

In this case I’m not notarizing it

1 Like

Then refer her to document recipient (don’t know if it’s a closing or other transaction) … this is not your problem. You can make a note in your journal for future reference. If you’re sending docs back, and she has refused to provide that info, I would either include a note to that effect or I would have the signer write a note indicating her refusal to provide that info, sign and date it.

3 Likes

I would ask if they are declining to fully complete the form. If they say they will answer all but that one question, then I would have them sign, move on, and place it in my closing notes. The ring on her finger may have nothing to do with a current or prior marriage. Speculation on your part.

7 Likes

I suppose it is not our responsibility after all. It was funny near the end when the person started telling me about their SPOUSES’ favorite restaurant and what they like to eat there. In one ear out the other I guess I’m in Michigan and we have specific spousal laws.

4 Likes

All states have specific spousal laws. I’m pretty sure none of them list anything about our role in notarial acts, nor do I think you will find anything in your SOS guidelines about securing marital status information! I just think sometimes we overthink our roles and responsibilities in a way that’s more burdensome than need be.

2 Likes

Interesting MI with special spousal laws. I’ve been married twice and 4 long term relationships and they all died. At 74 don’t really care about the official marriage frame work. I have friends in different states that have lived together 30 to 40 years and never married. Some times they were rings to stop the questions. In my older years now and think marriage in this day and age should be contracts subject to renewal :grinning:

4 Likes

what an interesting concept

Speaking of marriage and concepts, here is a thoughtful piece from the Intelligencer that a friend sent to me a few days ago and asked me, “what do you think?”. After I gave him a full, thoughtful response he told me - “You are a piece of work!!”. Not sure what that meant, but I’ll take it.

They ALL died?! :flushed: Is law enforcement looking for you anywhere? If so, blink twice - I may be able to help.

1 Like

Nothing illegal just bad luck. All of the men in my life were wonderful loving people, great cooks and very caring towards me. They all died from something similar like cancer, brain tumor, massive heart attack on job. They were all over achievers ~ had day job and side business or gig. Moral of story is enjoy life and don’t work too hard.

1 Like

@Tisino Thank you for citing the Source.

Very interesting read.

Unfortunately for the Responder . . . he gave short-shrift to all the potential that is contained within his possible bride-to-be (that is, if she is a woman of virtue & integrity, which remains to be elucidated) as follows:

The wonder & amazement of a mutually developing and evolving relationship encompassing fidelity that “ages” like no other (including fine wine).

The trust inherent in a long-term relationship that can be relied upon in good times & not-so-good times.

The stability of a relationship foundation established & reliance upon that foundation when the world is unstable all around you.

Her beauty, grace, poise, etc. will be encapsulated & developed within their children. Simply stated: Priceless.

Along with many other healthy benefits & effects, etc., etc., etc.

======

Those were my thoughts after reading that article. Left me with the sense of extreme “short-sightedness” on the Responders part . . .

However, the part that was truly puzzling was: What was your summation?

Love to hear it! :beach_umbrella::sun_with_face:

:swan:

1 Like

That could be their mom’s ring, grandmom ring. Your not the investigator, just the notary. Their the one attesting to this.

2 Likes

When I wasn’t married & not interested in dating or otherwise, I would wear a ring as well, so that doesn’t really mean anything.

2 Likes

When single women look for a husband discover I’m the CEO* of a financial services firm, I can’t get them off my scent [hunting dogs example]. Like you took to wearing a wedding band to keep them disinterested.

*CEO of a very small financial services firm.

1 Like

If the documents to be signed are regarding marital responsibilities, of course that needs to be verified. If they are not, but there is something referring to marital status, place the individual under oath, or, contact any other party involved in the signing and advise them of your concern. However, when there is nothing in the docs that apply to marital status, put them under oath, as I always do, and have them sign.

1 Like

Interesting response. Just wondering, what would putting them under oath accomplish if it not required by the form being signed? Also, why would you involve any other party in the determination by one to withhold their marital status on a form that may or may not involve that other party? And, what would be your concern about how someone chooses (or not) to answer a question on a form and an order in which you have no personal interest?

4 Likes

That was why I asked if the form was being notarized…it was not, so no…they don’t get “put under oath”

2 Likes

It’s a shame to hear he had to do that, but on the other hand… I understand :money_with_wings::euro::credit_card::money_with_wings::moneybag::sparkling_heart::gift_heart::heartbeat::heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like