When should I start counter offering?

That company is notorious for low pay and excessive demands. You would be better served to walk into a Title company and ask for the business. Differentiate yourself with hours and locations you will work. $225 is the average for most commutes under an hour.

1 Like

Thank You so much for your feed back and good advice.

so then she actually has to pay to do the job? Toner, Paper, Gas, travel time, printing time? My gosh, When does it end? Just answer me that. 2 hours for 20 bucks and you see the fee charged at 350? This is really getting pretty far out there. The folks wanting to sell you the class tell you that you can make hundreds of bucks a month. Just think that they train 40 maybe per month and 15 of us as renews? Its ok. I am saying that some of this is just the same as the car warranty they want to sell you over the phone. at the end of the day… you make your own choice. I just received my 200.00 check from 30 days ago. Isnt that grand? 30 days net and I had to outlay the cost. I only do this to pass the time but if I had to depend on this to pay the bills? I would be in trouble.

I have been counter offering since my first closing. Where I live I need to travel to do closings and the offer is usually never worth it for me so I counter offer.

1 Like

Interesting. Can’t they just move on to the next person, though?

1 Like

Ok… saying $225 is the “average” is just silly. For who? Where? Doing what? That is not the average and not even close for what signing services offer. Even the direct offers I’ve received have been $150.

2 Likes

I just started getting some signing after starting in January. I am getting $55 for refi + $10 for online. I know sucks but I am not getting anything from anywhere else yet. Once I cross 50+ signings I will drop the low ballers.

There is no magic number of completed signings that will lead to higher offers. The ONLY thing that works is to just say NO. I’ve been in this biz for 25 years, yet still am seeing the ever-decreasing offers on all platforms. Point being, experience means nothing to them; it’s all in how cheap they can get someone…and retain a much greater portion of the much higher fee they charge the signer.

1 Like

That’s absolutely disgusting - and why wait for the 50 signings…start now. $55 for a refi? Seriously??? You have no idea how much money you’re losing…and they’re laughing their way all the way to the bank.

If you’re not getting anything from anywhere else - go get it! But stop letting this company, whoever it is, use you like this -

smh

1 Like

I want to update my progress: I have been counter offering at $150.00, out of all the ones I counter I get about 80% back with negation sometimes settling in between $100.00 to $125.00. Not bad but for any that are in Spanish I alway ask more and I think I should be paid for my ability to speak Spanish.
I got a lot of positive feed back from everyone, I just want to say Thank You!

2 Likes

NOW. Always negotiate or your just bringing the rates down for you and everyone else. I never accept it as is unless it is $175 or more but i was trained in 2009 in california and the standars then was $100. The signing agency is likely charging double. So $175 to 200 to the aigner - look on settlement statement to find out. I wouldnt do a sigbing 5 mins from my house for less than $125 if i were you, heck $150. An hour drive in alaska i charge $275 and i get it all the time. Of course not very many notaries here. But do the math. 1 hr drive each way, gas in your car, paper and ink, not making min wage at that point. I know your doing ir for experience but trust me, if you dont get this one for $150 or more then younwill get the next one. And not of wasted your time. Even if i am already goinf to that 1 hr drive area for another signjng, i keep my rate the same for both so occasionally i get to double down . If last min signing or late at night or but crack early. I charge additional $25 to 50. If you are negotiating on the phone, always ask what they are offering , then say can you go up to $150 and they will either say yes ir i will have to check and get approval. You can then say i am flexible , so 125 is fine if you can do that. Ir whatever number was mentioned. You can usually get it

I agree, It just ruins it for everyone.