Where can loan signings be conducted? Please help

Hello,

I am new and looking to get into the business, I hear you have to go into peoples homes in order to conduct the signings. Is that everyone’s experience or can you conduct them elsewhere like a coffee shop or library?? I was thinking about safety concerns.

Mostly you go where hiring party thinks signers want. Usually signer’s home.
IME, a few signers want to meet in a public place–which will be stated on order as signing location/street address. Rarely will order give you public location’s name (i.e. Starbucks).
However, I have found that once in a while, during tlhe confirmation call, the signer will hesitantly ask if you would meet them at “a particular public location” instead. There are potential problems with letting signer pick location: much further away; a nice restaurant where restaurant is VERY UNHAPPY that you are monopolizing a table; the signer’s bank who may very well refuse to accommodate; endless list of m/l ill-suited places.

As ‘signer convenience’ is a major factor we provide, you can’t insist they meet you where you prefer. However (big however), I have found that offering signer an alternative (of your choice) is occasionally met with enthusiastic agreement.
I have found that always saying “We are scheduled for (date/time) at (signer’s home address), but we could meet at (public location of your choice) if that would be more convenient for you” often works. And just as often DOESN’T work.

The point is: you are hired to provide a service whenever, whereever is best for SIGNER, not you! If you aren’t comfortable going into people’s homes, find another job as you’re not cut out for this one.

5 Likes

Agree with Arichter and to add

Although meeting in a public p!ace may be acceptable to you and signers both, there’s the issue of keeping everything private AND having a table large enough to handle all paperwork. I did one signing at Starbuck’s … never again…tables too small for jostling all that paper around. And in a restaurant/fast food place, now you have the issue of food and drinks around the documents.

Yes, it’s signers’ convenience … and the customer’s preference and convenience are always first and the customer is always right. If this is a concern for you, you may want to look into RON signings only

JMO and good luck to you.

2 Likes

Thanks, I am hoping online notary becomes a big deal, it just got approved in New York State but I am not sure if that means loan signing can be done remotely.

Yes they can be done that way - and unfortunately, this technology is putting the traditional notary out of business. This link may help you - you can do remote notarizations or e-notarizations.

And you can only charge $5 per notarial act. Considering the monetary investment required to get set up to these, IMO it almost isn’t worth it…at least to me

thanks, I am wondering if Title Companies will switch to remote notarization in new york? Or is that up to me to determine if I can do the remote notarization with the signer.

I did one of my signings at the realtor’s office. That’s another option.

There are more cogs in the wheel than only the TC when deciding if a closing will be done via RON. Start using RON for general notary work and become familiar with the platforms you select. It’s not easy to have RON loan signings to just drop in your lap.

1 Like

Any where they want. McD’s, Starbucks, Library, There place of work, breakroom, conference room…

1 Like

You can perform a signing wherever you have a solid surface, technically. But, your job (and what makes you valuable), is that you will go wherever the signer needs you to go. That can be their office, their home, their back patio, a coffee shop, a library, a restaurant, a gas station while they’re driving through your city, a hotel lobby, or even outside on the back of a car (or even inside their RV). I’ve done it all.

Wherever they request, you go.

2 Likes

When I enter a home or office, the first question I ask is do you have a hard flat surface we can sign papers on. The flip side of this story is general notary assignments that can take place anywhere. That’s the primary reason I’ve been using a hardcover journal for 20+ years. In those cases the journal my be the only hard flat surface available.

The Covid pandemic that coincided with the historic drop in mortgage interest rates empowered some signers to make irrational demands on us and for the most part we just did what they asked. Plastic face shields, double n95 masks, gowns, surgical gloves, disposable thumb wipes, shoe bags, while sitting in the cold on a bucket outside in the garage. Then the next signer invites me in, tells me to take off my mask and offers me a cup of coffee.

So loan signing can be conducted anywhere that you (the notary) feels comfortable because anything less is a recipe for mistakes.

2 Likes

I’m not certain if your located in Texas. If you close a Cash Out Equity Refinance on a Homestead/Primary residence in Texas, you must conduct the closing the Lender’s office, a Title Companies office, or a Law Office. Reference to Article 16 Section 50 of the Texas Constitution. This does not apply to refinancing of investment properties. This does apply if you close an out of state Cash Out Refi in Texas. Don’t make the mistake of closing in the parking lot or lobby of any of these locations without gaining permission from the above mentioned entities.

Earlier this year we had an NSA use the lobby of a building where a Title Company was located. There was an issue with the loan and the Signing Service reached out to the TC only to discover the TC didn’t give permission to use their address. This rendered the closing void. As I understand the SS will no longer assign Texas Cash Outs for contract notaries and will only use Texas Title Companies. As I also understand there is an ongoing investigation, both civil and criminal, and the Notary has had their commission suspended.

I’ve done a few closing on the tailgate of my truck in a cattle pasture. In one case the rancher was trying to do her best to keep the goats from snacking on the pages. Sometimes Texas closing are an adventure.

2 Likes

I thought they amended that recently to allow for parking lot closings in TX, with or without permission - which IMO totally renders that “office” requirement useless. It was posted here…

1 Like

The change to parking lot closings were permitted during Covid’s peak. As far as I can recall, we can still due parking lot closings as that part wasn’t withdrawn from the rules. However, permission was still needed from the Lender, Title Company, or Law Office, for the closing to be valid. The key is getting permission from the entity to use their address. If we see a rise in foreclosures, I hope for my colleagues sake, the lawyers don’t figure out some Refis didn’t meet legal sufficiency.

1 Like

Like the person above me said I’ve done them on a tailgate, in the cab of a semi, at a tennis tournament for their kids, and also at a wrestling tournament for their kids as well. These people have busy lives so help them out and get their documents signed.

I would rather the signers come to my office. High speed printer, copier, scanner, fax, plenty of parking, coffee, bathroom and professional.

I once went to a signing in a signers home and the only hard flat surface that wasn’t covered with stuff was the top of their washing machine.

I did one in a barn with the horse resting his head on my shoulder as we signed papers, as the only flat service was right next to his/her stall.

1 Like

Sounds like the best signing ever!!

1 Like

I second Linda, that’s the best !