Withdrawing after initial assignment

I’ve been doing mobile notary work and loan closings for about 15 years or so. In that time there have been a handful of situations where something about the file or the signer(s) was setting off alarms in my head. Some of those times I proceeded anyway. And other times I withdrew from the assignment. I think in almost every case where I proceeded anyway against my better judgement, I later regretted my failure to withdraw.

I’d like to know the thoughts of others on here about withdrawing from an assignment when you’re uncomfortable and whether you withdraw occasionally.

I guess I’d also like responses from any notary location services on here as to how you feel about a notary withdrawing after they’ve been assigned.

3 Likes

A lot, I think, depends on how far along you are in the process. If you are already at the location with the signer present and breathing down your neck, it might be a bit problematic to withdraw, unless you had a bonafide “for cause” situation. Hopefully, you’ll have had a chance to print and review docs and ask questions before you go to the location for the appt.

It’s also why I’m preferring to do RON over Mobile notary work these days. And why, if the signer wants to come to my physical location, I’ll set the appointment, but I’ll ask them for a copy of the docs beforehand. I then confirm the signing after reviewing them.

So far, so good. There was only one case where I had to decline a signing and, thankfully, it was a RON signing where I could just terminate the session and the signer and I never cross paths thereafter. In that case, the document was filled to the brim with blank spaces. I didn’t feel comfortable notarizing it.

Anytime prior to the appt. date and time, I will withdraw if it’s a JDFR scenario. No one wants to withdraw, because we all want to make money, especially in this environment. But if ya gotta, ya gotta.

It would be nice if you gave an example. Most of the time it has to do with the borrower(s) your signing, not the title co.
But on the other hand, I’m the notary that take the hard nose customers that other notaries have had problems with. I usually find a common interest, get everything signed quickly, then get out of there.
These signings can turn into big money, when no one else once to do them.

Sorry for the delayed response.

It was more of a JDFR. But, my main objection is it was an initial application (it wasn’t described that way) and I don’t do initial applications.

I withdrew within two hours of receiving the assignment (after I’d had a chance to review the closing) and the closing date/time was still 23 hours away.

I didn’t give an example because my question was more philosophical than specific. There are times the decision is very clear to withdraw. But, what about those times when it is not clear? As in “just doesn’t feel right” as mag3_notary stated.

Just out of curiosity, what is your objection to “initial applications?” I don’t mind them. Heck, a signing at which I don’t have to notarize anything (and incur the risks of that)?

That would seem fair. At least you gave them sufficient time to find a replacement.

I have been a NSA since 2009. I do not cancel scheduled closing unless is a very critical situation. I can recall cancelling maybe twice in the last 5yrs. One cancellation was because of a power outage due to a storm and I was not able to print the documents. Second cancellation was due to a close family member funeral, totally unexpected.

When I have a bad experience with a Signing Agency, I do complete the closing, but I don’t accept another closing from this Signing Company again. Basically I fired signing companies that are not professional and are very unorganized.

The workload is less nowadays. But I still do not take very low fees. I take my Closings very seriously and I dedicate all my effort and time. I have been able to demonstrate that I can take care of every little detail that has been written in the closing instructions and other steps that I know need to be done, even though they do not provide the instructions for it.

The key is to ask all the questions before accepting a closing, if you are getting a phone call. If you are getting an email or text, then I read all the information on the request and I determine if I can do the closing or not. Usually I don’t accept same day closing. I have to receive the closing request at least the day before or preferably several days before.

1 Like

My main objection is they take too much time, even if everything goes smoothly and the applicant has all of the documentation ready. And that might be okay if the paid significantly more than a final closing. But, then, in my experience the applicant rarely has all of the requested documentation gathered. So, they’re just a lot of extra aggravation that I don’t need in my life.

I have not been in the business as long as most who have replied, but I did recently withdraw from an assignment. When I got to the address it was in a run down motel that actually had windows boarded up and cars on blocks or with flat tires. I tried to go to the lobby thinking I could get the signer to meet me there, but the lobby was behind bullet proof glass and when I tried to call no one answered. I could not find the room number (which was identified as an apartment number) and at that point I just did not feel safe in the area. I was not given a phone number for the signer. So I guess that might qualify as a JDFR instance.

1 Like

The concern I would have with this approach (although less so, these days) is that competition for these assignments is so great now that I’ll lose out on the opportunities for taking my time to do the research and not responding “Yes” ASAP. I mean, even if I do respond “Yes” immediately, the competition is so great that I almost never get the assignment anyway. I never hear about it again after my initial response (we’re talking about signing services, now). Very frustrating because one can’t plan one’s day appropriately not knowing if they will or will not be assigned. I do concur with not accepting an assignment on “short notice” (less than 2 hours - which is what I’d need to print the docs and get out to the location). Usually due to the primary notary cancelling at the last minute.

In your experience, how often will you (eventually) get the assignment, having taken your time to do the research, as opposed to responding immediately out of concern for it being assigned to someone else while you are “researching?”

Wow!! Glad you made it out alive. I would have left as well. Might not have even put forth the same effort you did by trying to contact someone at the front desk.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.