Witness Closing

I received a request for a “Witness Closing”. What is that?

I saw this on a previous post

In the industry, phrases like “notary witness closing” use the word “witness” loosely. When the notary takes an acknowledgement, the notary notary asks “did you execute this instrument as your free act and deed”"* and witnesses the signer say “yes”.

“When the notary administers an oath for a signed document, the notary asks “are the contents of this document true to the best of your knowledge, so help you God?”* and witnesses two things, first that the signer signed, and second that the signer said “yes” to the oath.
So chances are the notary won’t have to sign on any witness lines (unless that’s customary in your state for certain documents).
**or words to that effect.*”

3 Likes

A “witness closing” is just another term for a notary-conducted signing - notary is tending to the signing of the documents and notarizing where required = they are NOT acting as the closing agent or settlement agent - only a notary/signing agent “witnessing” and facilitating the accurate signing of the loan documents.

As to this statement, not sure about the laws in your state but here in FL (and in other states) if a jurat is required, the document must be signed in front of the notary. Acknowledgements can already be signed and the signers just acknowledge that yes, that is their signature and they did sign the document - in the case of a jurat, it must be signed in front of the notary. If already signed upon presentation, then the notary must have them sign it again.

I must say, the term “witness closing” should have come up in your training - this term has been around for a very long time.

Hope this helps

Thanks. Yes it does help.