Coronavirus Concerns

Continuing the discussion from Coronavirius concerns:

I’m very concerned about the Coronavirus and too afraid to take any signings. And the crazy thing is Signing Agencies are still going lower and lower on the fees to the notary to keep more for their agency. Will this virus really be the end of our business or even our lives if we try to continue? What are your thoughts?

3 Likes

Hi @bonitahaley,

I think you’re right to be concerned about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and should take precautions to maintain your health, but I do not think that this virus will be the end of the business. This is a temporary situation, and we will overcome together.

Of course, conditions are fluid. But operating and living in fear will contribute to more chaos than is necessary. Use good judgment.

Below is some information on this new virus and its health impacts from US & China Centers for Disease Control, New York Times, Johns Hopkins University.

• The majority of infections are mild.
  • The majority of people recover.
  • Those aged 60+ years are most at risk, especially those with pre-existing conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, abnormally high blood pressure, and cancer.

Takeaway: If you are young, healthy, and taking precautions such as good handwashing, risk of a severe infection is low.

Source: https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

2 Likes

Well Samantha,
the take away from your response was not very comforting being that I’m 64 and had previous heart surgery.
I think most people wash their hands anyway. I’ve always carried antiseptic wipes in my briefcase . But thanks for your response.

@bonitahaley, thank you for your update. I appreciate you sharing your age and previous health issues, which I was not aware about before.

As some clarification to my comment, I’ve seen a lot of people spreading chaos and fear online (especially regarding hoarding cleaning materials), so I wanted to provide more data-based information to assuage. I definitely did not mean to make you feel uncomfortable, so I apologize for any feelings I may have caused there. Given what you’ve shared, extra precaution is important, and having wipes on hand is prudent.

2 Likes

Pray… I am officially scared:( :pray:. We are risking our lives for $100-$200? Hmmmmmmmm. Need to think hard before accepting anymore signings! Is it worth it? Last week from Monday-Friday, I was signing from morning to tonight. Started off at 8AM signing and didn’t get home until close to 11PM! Awful! And today I got up at 5am went signing at 7am and finished the 3rd one 4pm just in time to drop off last Fedex pick up:(. Awful! So stressful. Totally risking my life! Not liking this at all right now.

1 Like

You sound very bless ! May God continue to make your business strive!

1 Like

I’m being inundated with signing requests too. Are you feeling like you should raise your fee for these “risky assignments”? I mean $100-200 for a signing seems pretty normal for normal times, which these are not!

2 Likes

Me too. I’m booked through Friday already. What are you charging during these risky times? Please share. My fee starts at $200. But I’ve booked 6 refis today lowest fee $120, only need to print one copy, average 90 pages, no scan back.

1 Like

All of my closings were scheduled last week and I didn’t make any adjustments in my fees. I am just thinking ahead. I would say $200 would be reasonable, but mine always include 2 sets and some have scan backs. I believe it’s going to be a supply and demand situation = risk vs. reward

1 Like

Who is paying 100 and 200?

Title & signing companies

3 Likes

Yikes! Are you all crazy busy? Wow, so many phone calls coming in this morning for signings but I can’t squeeze them in my schedule for this week:(. Yikes!

1 Like

I am a newbie as a signing agent and business owner, but I have many years experience in the “people helping people” business. I believe if we all continue to follow common sense practices regarding safety for ourselves and our health and community, we can overcome the challenges this new virus outbreak presents.

1 Like

I’m going to wear this to my closings tomorrow!

4 Likes

I have increased my rate during this time. And only have received 2 This week. But I am ok not signing for 2-3 weeks. I need a break as I also work full time. It isn’t worth the risk. I definitely will contact signers the hours before to ensure no symptoms

2 Likes

So we just received a shelter in place directive. California individuals should not go out unless essential such as grocery shopping, medical. Work in essential jobs etc. do I continue with notary signings it should all of these be cancelled?

1 Like

Have you thought about doing the Door Delivery system? I did two of these yesterday and they worked out great! I print and prepare my docs with sign and date here stickers, place them in the fed/ups envelope and hand it to them or you could place on their porch for the borrowers to pick up, go through the packet and sign them, then return them to me for review, notarize and drop. Also, the borrowers send me a copy of their driver’s license to verify identity and use their signature to compare. I’m also using disposal gloves.

I believe I can continue this way and be safe. My fear is that the signing companies won’t pay… Hope this helps!

1 Like

I’m going to suggest you think twice about doing this “door” delivery - I believe you’re breaking all kinds of “personal presence” notary laws by doing this - how did you ID them?? How did you have them sign your journal? Did you watch them sign? If so, how? Did you notarize in front of them? If so, how? IF you did it via Skype/FaceTime etc, are you RON commissioned?? If not, this could be a real problem for you down the road.

No signing or fee is worth these drastic steps and the trouble you or any notary could face doing this. Don’t let any company tell you this is okay because if you’re not RON commissioned, it’s not.

I’d also suggest to previous posters to be careful about increasing your fee during this time - price gouging laws could be applied to our services too. What’s good for the goose…as they say.

To the person who said the CA “shelter in place” was in effect, I’d heard only certain counties…is it statewide now?

Thanks and everyone stay safe (and smart and level-headed) out there

1 Like

Linda my exact thoughts. I have received several emails from several title companies telling me its ok

1 Like