NNA and Financial Industry requiring Notary and Signer to fill out Health Travel questionnaire at closing!

Continuing the discussion from Coronavirus Concerns:

I received an email from Signature Closers LLC They participated in an industry conference call organized by the National Notary Association earlier today regarding COVID-19.

• This call was attended by some of the nation’s largest lenders and underwriters in an effort to create a consolidated approach to the COVID-19 outbreak and our industry response

• The National Notary Association has recommended that both signers and notaries complete a health questionnaire consisting of 3 questions prior to signing to ensure the safety and well being of all participants at signing, A
“Visitor Health Screening Questionnaire”. I believe this “bullshit”! The Banks and Title companies need to verify this information prior to sending out orders! Why do we want you to provide this information? They say:

• By capturing this information, we’ll be able to proactively identify areas where signings are being disrupted due to COVID-19 concerns

• This will allow us to communicate proactively to title companies / lenders that signings in these locations may need to be postponed and rescheduled

• This will protect you and also ensure you do not lose this business when it ultimately does close, really I believe this should be done prior getting the order with Representatives their dealing with! We’re not healthcare professionals or Infectious disease Doctors!

2 Likes

I understand your consternation. Personally, I live in Northwest Washington State. Our schools are closed, gatherings larger than 250 are banned, social events are canceled and clubs are not meeting. Many stores are limiting the number of people allowed in at one time. Cleaning supplies, cold medicines, toilet paper, canned foods, bottled water… all pretty much impossible to find. People you see every day - your morning barista, the receptionist at the office, your next door neighbor - suddenly disappear. This stuff shows up very quickly.

In addition to the regular confirmation call (which is often made several days prior to the appointment) I have taken to calling every borrower I am scheduled to meet the morning of the appointment, to ask them if anyone in the household has a fever or is coughing. If the answer is affirmative, I tell them we will have to reschedule, then I call the signing service.

I wear medical gloves to all signings. I wipe my blue pens with antiseptic pads before giving them out for use. I do not shake hands, and do my best to remain 3 feet from the borrowers. I keep hand sanitizer in my car and use it everytime I get behind the wheel. I clean my steering wheel and instrument panel every evening when I get home. I wash counters, tabletops, doorknobs, cabinets, light switches, the fridge and stove, and the bathroom daily.

I do all these things to help ensure that I do not spread this virus from client to client, as well as to protect my own health.

Just asking 3 questions before going out? Nowhere near effective.

3 Likes

I had a signing for 4PM today. When I called borrower to confirm, I asked the first question, “have you or household members returned from international travel within the last 14 days?” He answered “yes”! I told him I would have to decline and he sounded confused and hung up. I have an immune-compromised daughter and I will not take a chance of exposing her.
The problem is that it was a Signature Closing Sync and I sent emails and phone calls out. No one responded. Over an hour later, I rec’d a call and the woman asked “is there a problem?”. Doesn’t anyone read or listen to what we are telling them? I usually have no problem with Signature Closing except contacting them is so difficult. They don’t mind driving me crazy with texts and emails while I’m on a signing.

1 Like