Apostilles -- Don't Miss Out On This Business

I just want to share my recent experience with doing Apostilles in California. I have been a Notary for 3 years and I can say without a doubt that this can be a very lucrative business as your service fees are paid in advance and those fees can be whatever your market will bear.

I average five Apostilles a week, some of which are multiple documents for the same client and each package is a minimum of 200.00 paid in advance. I travel up to Sacramento twice a week and the turnaround time when using the Drop Box has been averaging 3 days. Even if you can’t travel to your SOS you can still profitably run this business using a Courier service.

I would recommend that you get some training before doing your first Apostille or get yourself a Mentor to help you with your first few Apostilles.

16 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ve been looking into this and plan on adding it to my list of offered services soon.

1 Like

My pleasure. Any questions just ask.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information, I have taken the training and I added it to my services, but I haven’t gotten any calls for one yet! I’m in Texas.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. It’s very apparent that we will have to branch out and offer other services.

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight and could you point me to who gives classes on this?
I reside in Connecticut.

1 Like

how do you market for apostille work?

3 Likes

Where Do you suggest getting training from?

1 Like

I do it via my Google My Business Page. I have several Posts on my G-Page that lets potential customers know that I am an Apostille resource.

2 Likes

Apostille work is NOT available in all States. I just checked with the North Dakota Secretary of States office and Notaries are not allowed to do Apostille work here… it has to be done at the SOS’s office.
Check with your State before you send $300.00 or more to any Apostille training company.

3 Likes

@bob4realty I’m going to disagree with you here - because I don’t believe you understand the concept of the role of “apostille services” - anyone can offer these services and they don’t even have to be a notary

What the person is doing is, essentially, helping the people needing the apostille to get it processed - they’re acting, basically as a middleman/courier to send/deliver the documents to the SOS and receive them back for delivery to the document owner.

No, a notary cannot DO an apostille, but they can help facilitate the process for people needing them.

11 Likes

Thank you for the clarification LindaH-FL. That makes sense as you explained it and does not discount what the SOS office told me. Then I have to wonder why anyone would pay $200. to do what the SOS does for free?

1 Like

Thank you Will. I am happy that you are doing well. Thank you for your information.
Virginia

1 Like

Bob, usually the SOS doesn’t do the paperwork and gather all the required supporting documents, etc. They Validate what you’ve sent and pull out their BIG GOLD perrrty stamp and send it back to the originator. You are charging to fill out the required form and ensure required information is attached to the SOS’s request form. You run down there or hire a currier to drop it off (or wait), and have it sent back to you. If there’s an error on the apostille request form, you get it right back (in your self-addressed stamped envelope). Makes sense? YOU are collecting the client’s money up front for all your labor, sub-contractor costs, SOS fee, and postage.

3 Likes

How do you find couriers and what course do you recommend?

Yes it does make sense Patricia. Do you think it is worth a $300. course or do you think this is something one can figure out on their own?

I’m a “down the rabbit hole” kind of researcher and by the time I pull up, I’ve worn myself out, never to get to the rest of it! Lol! So, yes I’d pay $300 it if nothing else but to stay focused.

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice Patricia.

1 Like

I live in Indiana and have provided Apostille Services for about 5 months now. I literally watched some YouTube videos on the overall process. It is NOT difficult. And as has been mentioned, many will pay a high fee for this service to be done for them for their own reasons. Perhaps they don’t know how, they don’t want to deal with it, or they simply don’t trust themselves.

5 Likes

Thank you! I’ve watched a few youtube videos as well but was worried that might not be enough? It does seem pretty straight forward.