Background Checks

What the company does is take the money they are to pay you and invest it. They make money off of expected payouts. The longer they can hold out, the more interest they earn. It’s business. Have a collection agency in your back pocket. It stops them dead in their tracks. For one company, I went to their doorstep and requested my funding. I happened to be in the city and checked on my GPS. I waited 15-20 minutes and had all of my funding due to me.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t leave my house for $55. Gas, car insurance, snow tires, printing/paper expense. I am now seeing that after I accept their terms and they send the directions for the signing they now put in $25 per mistake, $10 per delay, $10 for not stacking in the proper order, $10 for not calling them back and saying the signing is completed. Do the math. That $55 signing you just earned $0.00 on. With that said, just do the job properly and respect yourself. I’ve also seen 2 companies add in a page to the borrower acknowledging that I’m getting paid $500 when I’m getting $100. But it’s a document not for me to sign or notarize, just the borrower to sign. I can’t give any advise but sometimes I grunt. The company just pocketed $400 on my job.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to always request a copy of your back ground check. You paid for it. You should have a copy of it. Pass it on to other agencies. It worked for me.

I used Michigan State Police background check for my first year, then ran into road blocks like Title Source and had to get NNA BGCs to use their service. Good company, bad requirement.

Hi,
Any recommendation for renewing background check?I use NNA but its expensive.

Metzger, how much is the typical charge for your background check? Back in 2001, I was vetted by the FBI as a condition of employment with the company I worked for. At that time, I did not have to pay. Now though I have been using the NNA and would prefer something with more integrity possibly.

Thanks
Don

I use Sterling for my BGC, which is the other agency besides the NNA that Fidelity will accept. I had to be referred to Sterling by a Signing Service, so you just can’t apply directly to them. I just renewed my BGC with Sterling and it was $62.35, which is about the same as the NNA I’ve heard. Since we have to have the BGC, either through the NNA or Sterling in order to get anything connected to Fidelity Title, I just spend the money. At least the BGC is a business expense on taxes. If you want to go with Sterling (at least you don’t have to take the certification test by going this route), check with one of your favorite signing services or title company and ask them to refer you to Sterling.

@surfnkona : If a title company is charging a certain fee as closing fee/ notary fee and if 100% does not go to the closer/ notary , then the title company is commiting fraud and intentional misrepresentation of cost of fee and can have their license suspended or revoked, if an audit finds this pattern in multiple transactions. They are NOT allowed to skim additional profits from various other service providers. Going by that argument, they can say, survey cost $500, while it actually was only $300.
Thats fraud. IT could also be tax fraud, coz, they may be accounting these a COG & expenses ,while they are actually pocketing the difference in fee charged to customer and fee paid to the service provider in the HUD / ALTA / CD