Background checks!

Hi,

I am trying to find alternative to NNA background check and came up that Sterling Background checks is also accepted at many signing services. However their website states that individual background checks are NOT conducted.
I laughed out loud !! Background checks are done for individuals…I think what they meant that that they only entertain orders from companies against individuals … Unless there is a new concept BG checks against companies…

That would be nice, given that many Signing services are not paying and going bust or just scamming a new notary every day.

So what other background check companies are out there. How come only NNA and Sterling Background checks are accepted. NNA is over priced and they know the near monopoly they hold.

Any BG check done by an agency licensed for such should be accepted. As compared to $65 charged by NNA, some companies charge much lower fees to do the same.

Any comments and ideas and what other companies have you used to conduct BG check against yourself.

I found this online. Anyone used this?

http://www.iamscreened.com/products.html
https://www.directscreening.com/services.php?gclid=CM218evrkNUCFRZYDQodIT8GWw

A national search costing under $20 should do the job

Would be nice but I’d worry it won’t be accepted.

I got my background check with www.crimcheck.com. $25… as compared to expensive options. This has been accepted by so many others, except Fidelity.

Fidelity asked me to buy another test thru NNa or Sterling. You have to have an invite code to login to Sterling.

I told them accept this or Ignore this. Not spending more again. BTW… I did not get much business from them anyway last year to justify the double spend.

If enough notaries STAND YOUR GROUND… Companies will stop screwing us. I get it that some of you won’t.

2 Likes

NNA’s check is accepted everywhere, no question. That, in my opinion, is worth the extra $30 bucks or so.

@judikid > Its not the $30… Its principle. Notaries are being pushed around and squeezed financially while impossible tasks are required.

You should all know , after my extensive lobbying efforts with fidelity, CRIMCHECK is NOW Accepted by fidelity.

So once you got NNA certification, + NNA BG check in your first year, You can just get a background crime check from other agencies. No need pay expensive options of NNA.
Notaries: Here is a lesson for you>

Standup to your convictions, Fight for it. but then you are going to only stand up only as strong as your convictions are.

https://app.efetch.com/#/registration/natlc/level2

This is the link to get CrimCheck background approved.

3 Likes

@notary_narayan, I agree! I have no idea how notaries make a living! The low-ball fees, no closing, no pay, and the BS of trying to get paid 30 - 45 days later is too much for someone doing this on the side.

After a year of not getting signings as a new NSA and a nightmare debt resolution signing, as I am doing this as a side gig with minimal bandwidth to begin with, between the hoops you have to jump through to get business, the outlandish super low-ball fees (which is the biggest reason I didn’t get jobs because I am not taking less than $125 for a 150-page packet) and the ridiculous prices of NNA, I have come to the conclusion that it isn’t worth the stress and effort to be a signing agent and am sticking strictly to general notary work. The pay is less but thanks to Square, I get paid at the time of service and there’s no print/scanning/faxing! Plus, I don’t have to carry the $500,000 E&O policy the title companies want and instead have a $25,000 policy.

1 Like

Nobody carries $500,000 . What do u need it for?
Many greedy signing companies want 50% commission.
Many title charge upwards of $300 to $500 as closing fee.
They pay $150 or more to closing company, and keep the change.
The signing companies, want to keep if possible all of it , just to be a glorified messanger work …

Many notaries ( especially) new ones will work for a loss to get business.

Sigh …

2 Likes

My time is valuable and I won’t take low ball fees. Of course, I haven’t worked as a Signing Agent because of it. I went further into debt to pursue this as a side gig and am so disillusioned.

PRINT CARDS, HAND THEM OUT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WHEN IN WALLMART, INSERT THEM IN CARS, WHEN IN DUNKIN DONUTS, ASK THE OWNER,MANAGER AND DROP SOME CARDS

$50 SHOULD GET YOU 2500 CARDS AND THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH. GIVE THEM ALL AWAY.

1 Like

NNA DOES SQUAT FOR NOTARIES… NOTHING THEY HAVE DONE HAS IMPROVED NOTARIES WELFARE
IMO, THEY DONT DESERVE MY MONEY…
PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS AND PUT THEM OUT OF RELEVANCE
SORRY FOR THE CAPS, MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK :relieved:

1 Like

It is true NNAn does nothing for you. They will not go up to bat for you for any reason, they just want their fees. They have all the Signing Companies and Title Companies “bamboozled” that their background check is the best. Theirs is no better than a $15 one. They are making a large profit off them. The only one’s that carry $500,000 or $1,000,000 in insurance is the signing companies. The big title companies are no longer taking individuals, you have to go through a signing company to work for them and pass certain tests and sign certain agreements.

1 Like