Best way to determine awareness

Hello all! I’m heading to a nursing home tomorrow to get a signature on a Warranty Deed for a woman who is transferring title for her home to her cousin and his wife. Wanting to be prepared, I am asking for any suggestions on conversation leads that might help me be sure the signer is mentally aware of what she is doing. It seems easy to determine from a generic standpoint that someone “knows” what they are signing…but I also hate to be wrong - and I don’t want to insult the signer by asking them if they know what year it is or who the current president is - because chances are she is completely mentally competent and I’m worrying for nothing.

What are some questions or conversations you’ve had that have helped you feel comfortable that the person knows exactly what they are doing, without asking a question that may offend them. Thanks in advance!

Hi Penny,
I hope this helps

Thanks - that’s a great article. I’m just looking for conversational ways of feeling someone out for mental clarity without making it obvious that’s what I’m doing. And I do realize that I might be overthinking this… LOL

Depending on your state you may have additional requirements
Notary Basics: Determining A Signer’s Awareness | NNA

Regardless of the methodology you select to ‘casually’ determine their comprehension of the act they’re about to perform, I always ask everyone to leave the room leaving only the signer & myself together to cover the topic. Normally, I’ll just say: “May we have a few minutes alone together before we get started please?”

FYI: There can be very subtle nonverbal cues that can be given by those who may have coerced someone into authorizing a transfer. Good luck & let us know how it progresses for you.