Bringing a witness

How often are you asked to bring a witness. Also, do you charge extra for that? All Star Notary always ask that I bring two witnesses.

1 Like

Not often, but never been asked to provide 2 as usually the notary can also be a witness (state specific). Darn straight…charge extra, at least $25/person…more if there’s a LOT of travel time involved. Everyone’s time is worth money and you have to pay the witnesses and hope you get paid.

2 Likes

Yes mam’n, I get asked to provide witnesses frequently.
I pay my witnesses at least $20 but if it requires their own travel or a lot of their time then it goes up forsure.

I am asked frequently. Maybe it’s because I have people who can help.

I charge $50 per witness to bring along.

1 Like

I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m asked to bring a witness. Altho’ I have had that amount accepted when the travel time was higher than normal. Is $50 your m/l ‘standard’ fee?

I always say $50 extra. or factor that into my fee which is higher. Cost of things have gone up (Gas/ Toll / Eggs/ Milk, Bread Lol) !

In a real estate transactions $50 extra is a pittance for the HUGE CONVENIENCE of SERVICE being offered. Notaries must start to monetize the convenience we bring to the table. I am really surprised that notaries think their services are supposed to be cheap !!

My fees is NOT just based on my cost and profit calculations , but also on the value of the service / convenience to the client.

A notary must be sharp enough to ask subtle and pointed questions to assess that value you provide to a client and then put a monetary value to that.

1 Like

I pay the witness the full fee, if i bring them with me. Usually a friend. Here is the math, 1/2 hour + 1/2 hour back and forth, An hour in service or less. The urgency of finding a friend to come along. SO $ 50 for two hours is respectable. If some companies start arguing , I just decline , sometimes i give them big lecture about how cheap they are , and how expensive things they are !! That’s just me.

I really DISLIKE people telling me what my time is worth, I Know what I am worth !! Can you afford me ? If companies say, We are sorry , We cannot afford that I am ok with that. But not OK with being judged for my times worth !! That’s the difference. Every one is trying to squeeze the small guy like us to increase their profit margin

3 Likes

ALWAYS charge extra for a witness!!! And also know your state laws.
In some states you are not allowed to witness the same document that you notarize
so you might need two witnesses

This is the AZ SoS position on notaries providing witnesses - this is AZ only.

1 Like

It all depends on the state’s law and each state is totally different.
Some states like Michigan do not require a witness
while other states like Florida require two witnesses not related to the signer
I think in Georgia you need a witness and an attorney to be present

1 Like

The point was only that in Arizona, notaries are never to provide witnesses. It doesn’t matter if it’s GNW or a loan signing. And I emphasized that it was AZ only.

1 Like

Yes, that is true. yes

Exactly!

I feel the same way.