Brother Multitray printer woes

Hello all, and happy Thanksgiving.

I’m using a dual tray Brother HL-L5200DW printer. Whenever I try to print a closing packet in its true form (meaning mixed letter and legal), at some point the printer will push the top margin of some of the legal documents down approximately an inch and a half, thereby cutting off the bottom of the page. However, when I print on legal only, no problem at all.

Have any of you experienced this issue and, if so, would yo use so kind as to share a solution?

3 Likes

Hi! I’m having the same issue so I am having to print page by page to bypass this issue at the moment. What computer are you using? I’m using a MacBook Pro 2020. Please let me know if you figure it out?

Do you have adobe reader on your computer? It has the feature/settings you need to sort by paper size. Free download available online.

3 Likes

I also noticed with my Brother 5900 that when printing transitions from letter to legal, the printer will jam. Always at that same page. Not sure why. It will only jam during certain transitions from letter to legal.

1 Like

I’m using both an iMac and a MacBook Pro. I’m taking the printer to a Brother repair center next week…hopefully they can figure it out. I’ll let you know.

1 Like

I do have it, and I do sort it by paper size. Still doesn’t work correctly.

I have a Brother H-Hl6200DW. No issues with paper size sorting. I print through Adobe with no issues. If your having issues use NotaryRotary for printing. That’s how I started, then I tried the Adobe setup and the only adjustment that I had to make was to not print on both sides.

4 Likes

Thank you. Are you using a Mac or PC? I’m a Mac user.

iMac and MacBook Pro.

I’m fighting printing issues also. I’m on a brand new MacBook Air and Brother HL6250W with two trays. I’m finding that I have to print pages in batches using “page organize” in Adobe Acrobat DC. There I can see the pages that are legal versus letter size and print them in batches. It’s a crude workaround but it the only thing that works for me. Everything I’ve read is that Adobe has pretty much abandoned the Mac market. Very ironic since Mac users are what made Adobe’s early success. I’m very disappointed.

Same here. I tried to use Apple’s Native PDF Reader (Preview), but it doesn’t give me the option to print mixed pages. Still trying to find a (preferably free) alternative.

1 Like

I was having the same issue with my brother 2 tray printer. It was cutting off the bar codes and page #s. I corrected that by clicking on " print to fit" instead of “actual size”. Try that to see if it corrects the problem.

2 Likes

Thanks! My concern is the doc printing out of spec and causing problems for the lender.

I’ve had similar problems with my HP dual-tray printer. For this reason, I “step through” the document package page-by-page determining which pages are letter- and which ones are legal-sized and recording them into a text file. Then, when printing, I am able to copy and paste the page numbers into the printing dialog box. Yes, it takes a little longer. But, taking this extra time reduces my frustration when printer errors occur.

1 Like

Macs do not play well with Adobe…period. I’ve heard that you can somehow set up Windows on a Mac and then they play well together.

2 Likes

Are you certain your paper/tray settings are correct? Make sure the paper in the tray matches the setting size stored in the printer.

1 Like

Yes. The pages print just fine in the beginning and then eventually become mis-margined.

This is the sense I’ve gotten from reading these posts. I’m just going g to connect my wife’s PC to my printer and go from there.

I have never owned a Brother, but from what others have said, they have excellent support. I’ve also never heard of the margin-dropping-down problem you’re having. Give Brother support a call!

I’ve noticed that doing so changes the font size substantially. Do the lenders you’ve worked with not have an issue with that?