Coronavirius concerns

I have to get a “thumb print” so that is a risk in itself.

I am seriously looking into wearing dupont protective product. Think this one will do.

https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/amer/us/en/personal-protection/public/documents/en/SS_NA_ProShield_80_Sell_Sheet_latest.pdf

1 Like

Mortgage and lending services have been declared “necessary services” by the federal powers that be, therefore signing agents are protected from “stay home” mandates. (Someone has to keep the real estate engine moving along or the nation will end up in another 2007 situation.)

We use gloves always, masks when determined necessary by the notary.

We call the morning of each signing (in addition to our initial confirmation call) and ask if there is illness present in the household.

We request that the signing take place on a porch, a covered deck, or even in a garage with the door open - any outside area under cover, for improved ventilation.

We explain that we will need a full table for the signing, that the signers will sit on one side and the notary on the other; that no one will sit next to the notary; that docs will be slid across the table and there will be no contact.

We pass out brand new pens and leave them.

After a thumbprint, we hand over an antiseptic wipe for the borrowers’ use.

To limit exposure of our journals, we complete all entries prior to arrival, leaving the borrowers to provide only signature and thumbprint.

We enclose all signed documents in a classification folder, so that we are not handling exposed paper.

We keep our gloves on through scanbacks and packaging.

It’s grim out there right now, but I worked damned hard to build this business and I am not going to give it up without a fight.

2 Likes

Ridiculous. And if you showed up at my house in this thing you wouldn’t get past the front door.

Good grief!

1 Like

Ok, this whole thing about Corona virus is making people becoming mean and nasty. Good day!

Wasn’t being nasty - just stating a fact. And did you think of this?

If you decide to go this route - the suit is only good for one wearing, then either it needs disinfecting or needs disposal.

And ask yourself - what are your signers going to think seeing you show up in this. Seriously.

Sorry if you were offended, but my reaction was nothing compared to what you’re going to endure if you do this.

Good luck

1 Like

First of all I would never wear that without talking to the title companies or the signing companies that I’m signing with first! But this whole COVID-19 thing is starting to scare me now. Trying to decide if I should stop taking any more signings for now and wait…

1 Like

I understand that you’re scared - I’ve read the fear in your posts - many are right there with you. Only you can decide how that fear is going to impact your business. You also have to think about how your fear is going to impact your focus on the business at hand - and how you handle any after-effects you experience should anything happen at the signing (a cough, a sneeze, a simple comment of “I don’t feel so hot so can we move this along”).

One other thing to keep in mind - your signers may not be sick but may have been near someone who was - and it was transmitted - one person has the potential to infect 3 other people, those three infect three other people each and it grows and grows. So even in the best of plans, there is potential. I, for one, would not take the chance. And no, I don’t do loan signings any more but I do still do general notary work - or did til this was designated a pandemic…put the brakes on immediately.

Good luck in your choice and please take care of yourself. You’re a smart lady and I enjoy reading your posts.

1 Like

Do you have a supply source for gloves? I’m allergic to latex and so are many other people (including my doctor). Finding gloves in WA state is difficult. At what cost are you describing that Notaries should continue to put themselves at risk? Is that fee worth your life?

1 Like

I agree with your statement. Unknown how we will be exposed in public or how we many expose others. WA State is the ground zero state. The moral and ethical question is do we want to work with the public and either have them expose the virus to us or we could be unknown carrier exposing others. Is the fee worth it? I agree we need to keep the real estate market moving but everyone needs to take a deep breath and consider the risks. Real estate will still be around after we have reached the high curve of the virus. I want to be around to keep performing signings after the danger has passed. Every day above ground is good!

2 Likes

Can anyone clarify if we signing agents are considered “essential personnel”?
I am in California and the Gov has declared “Shelter in place” for all “non-essential”
I am continuing with my appointments…but the police are in force and I don’t want to be fined a misdemeanor if I am out there.
Where is it written that we are essential?

Someone elsewhere posted they checked with emergency services in their area; I, personally would check with the SOS - if you can get anyone since I believe all your state offices are closed. In my own personal opinion based on previous similar orders throughout my life, I don’t believe notaries are exempt. Not sure how the legal system looks upon them being “essential personnel”.

Maybe this will help you…

Here’s the definition:

“Essential personnel” Defined:
Employees in the public and private sector with duties and responsibilities, the performance of which is essential to the public’s health, safety and welfare, may also be authorized to travel.

I just keep plugging away at sites, gathering a box here, a box there.

I believe signing agents fall under the financial services umbrella. During this time especially, tapping into equity may be vital to families. I am expecting to see the process steamlined in following weeks, so that more families can access needed funds.

They need to make those supplies unavailable to anyone other than first responders and health care workers.

1 Like

You honestly believe that manufacturers are not churning them out at super speed? Or that hospital supply firms and hospitals did not stockpile immediately beginning in February? Not to be offensive, but do you honestly believe that fast food workers, produce handlers, delivery personnel and, yes, notaries do not also need protection,both for themselves and for the public?

1 Like

I believe essential personnel should have them - non-essential workers do not need them; I do not believe notaries are essential personnel. And listening to the news reports of conditions, more are needed for those essential personnel. There’s not enough.

That is my own personal belief about essential v. non-essential. However as to the shortage, I believe Mr. Pence, Mr. Cuomo, the Surgeon General and the Secretary of Defense who all stated today there is a drastic shortage. Health workers are being told to use their masks and gowns over and over - a health hazard in and of itself. I also listen to folks in my community in health care - who all say the same thing - we’re running out of PPE -

Please don’t be offended.

1 Like

Essential workers list varies by state.

1 Like

I’ve been signing with my mask and gloves on. Wipe in and wipe out with disinfectant. I mean everything even the bottom of my shoes. God help us all!

2 Likes

I think he was joking