Covid and signings !?! WOW

Okay… so I had a refi- signing on christmas eve and I arrive at clients home, gave her a call to ask if I can park in the front she goes " My son has FULL FLEDGED COVID :fearful:" I mean were all wearing mask in the house" mind you her tone is as if she is still in panic herself… so then I say, I wish you notified me of this before I arrived at your home, however Its best you reschedule until after a negative test and she goes oh no were fine to sign, I will just sign the documents on your car… ummmm??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: excuse moi? what do you mean? I said mam I do not feel comfortable being in any exposure to covid , she said but were fine were not exposed and starts to back peddle her "full fledged " convo…and I kindly said no, I hope that her son gets better but that rescheduling is what’s best for all parties involved to minimize spread, she basically hung up on me as if I am the one who is in the wrong. Just wow… what are your thoughts ? what would you guys have done? :grimacing:

6 Likes

I’m just amazed that your working on Christmas Eve, that alone is amazing, but the rest just makes it so much worse.

5 Likes

I agree with what you did and can’t believe the lady expected you to continue on with the signing as if nothing was wrong. Very inconsiderate…yes, leave and let title/SS reschedule with ALL the information. Unbelievable that she could be so clueless and totally disregard the risk.

I don’t work Christmas Eve either because, well, it’s Christmas Eve and it’s also my husband’s birthday…I never work that day. Hope you got premium pay for that assignment.

2 Likes

When I accepted, I did not know it was on the eve, but I said Hey at least I would be helping someone close their home loan…and well… some people are just shocking.

1 Like

Thats the funnies thing, it was not worth the payment to begin with its one of those do you do it or cancel feelings from the start, then my husband said Well it’s a refi maybe they need it so just do it and then that happened :frowning: lesson learned for sure.

2 Likes

I think you did the best you could. NO notary assignment is worth risking COVID for, certainly not some dopey refi that the borrower KNOWS should not be done. I would call the lender/escrow/title and advise them of the situation, ask for $$$ for your trip and print time and forget about it. Gee whiz!

3 Likes

Exactly… I was just shocked at her response she completely wanted me to take the risk while she sounded scared herself crazy…

1 Like

This happened to me on Dec 23rd. I went to a signing and the whole house had covid and we signed outside in mask. I was sooo angry that they didnt tell me before hand. The company also didn’t tell me either. The borrowers said they told their lender but they were still scheduled to sign. They assumed I knew because the first notary cancelled, rightfully so. I was already there so I told the company to basically double my pay to 250. Since we were outside and in mask and 6 ft away. We were all vaxxed and boosted. I wouldn’t do it again. But since then I have tested negative a few times. I just wished they would have disclosed that. They were also okay with me leaving but I needed the $$$. These signing are few and far in between.

1 Like

I asked the signers via the confirm call and text if them or anyone in their house has or has been exposed to Covid. It just too risky. I’m vaccinate and boosted and also wear a mask. I pull out hand sanitizer at each signing. Lol I’m so wrapped up one couple felt bad that that didn’t have a mask on during thier signing with me. :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

Personally, I can’t determine. Since the start of Covid, I have worked but I have also studied functional medicine for about 30 years now. I take supplements. That’s how i keep myself from getting sick. And of course I do mask, hand wash, gloves in the store and do not go out much still. When I come home I shower and wash my clothes. It’s all about how I am protected, could I have signed the folks in my car or their car, possibly. Depends also on how they are, attitude and cleanness I mean. Their son being fully sick might be they aren’t very cautious. Long story short you probably went with your instincts which is always best.

1 Like

What a selfish, stupid signer! It’s people like her the reason why this thing keeps mutating. No amount of money is worth me risking my life.

2 Likes

Kudos to you! Same,Same…Some people just Don’t Get It! #correctdecision #ridiculousness

1 Like

During these crazy times I always ask during my confirmation call if they have symptoms of Covid, if they have Covid or if they’ve been exposed to Covid. It really can save you time and energy. Sorry that happened to you!

2 Likes

There is a simple solution, it seems to me, anyway. Ask health-related questions when making the appointment. If, when you arrive for the signing, you find that the signers have been untruthful or you suspect a problem, simply and courteously, LEAVE! Notify the lender/title/escrow and ask (politely demand) for a trip and print fee. This isn’t the Army where you have to “take that hill”, no matter what. If you give up your fee to protect your health, isn’t it worth it?

4 Likes

You did the right thing. The borrower should have cancelled.

1 Like

You did the right thing. I recently confirmed a signing with a borrower and he asked me on the phone if I was vaccinated to which I replied yes. At the signing he told me that at a previous signing at his home, the Notary, while signing him, explained that she was not vaccinated beause she did not want the government telling her what to do. Brilliant!

1 Like

Oh yes just had one today but guess what the signing agency was aware of it and said I did not feel comfortable because I have a son with an auto immune deficiency and they said they would find a notary to accommodate their client. I did express how unethical I thought that was :confused:

2 Likes

You acted completely appropriately. This woman should have been forthcoming about her son’s COVID diagnosis and condition thus triggering a rescheduling of the signing appointment. I’m not sure what signing agency, bank, title company, etc. you were representing, but the companies I work with have VERY strict and specific COVID policies – policies which are designed to protect both the signer and the Notary. I think you handled the situation perfectly.

3 Likes

the company actually supported me and said, yep, she will be rescheduled, and we will pay you for print and trip so that was good.

1 Like

Have you had COVID vaccines??