Do you leave your business card at a signing?

My business cards have my Notary business on one side and my Tax business on the other. I hand them the card Notary side up. When they flip the card they ‘discover’ my Tax Business.

My notary card has my unique business name and an implication of the special aspects of my service on the “front” and the “back” has an outline of my services and a list of my credentials (I have special investigation and bank experience). It almost never fails to get attention. I get lots of repeat business in this way.

1 Like

You are most welcome.

Be memorable, now! :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I do in case the signers have basic questions I am allowed to answer.

Since they already have my phone number because I confirmed by phone with them, there is no need to leave my card unless it’s a direct signing. The SS I work with made it clear to never leave my card

(CA) I always present my card at the door. It identifies me and my purpose for being there.

2 Likes

I wish I could afford to to that ,not right now tho

They’re really not that expensive … Think it’s National Pen where I got mine years ago. Don’t have to buy deluxe models at first…I stayed conservative and only had my name and phone number on them.

How can you afford not to? Business cards cost almost nothing. I use VistaPrint and there are many other printers out there. If you can’t afford business cards, you’d better think about how you’ll stay in this business. JMO

If that SS was UI, there are dubious motives at work. You should leave your card if you want, not if you don’t, but it has nothing to do with the SS. They are all scrambling to get the GNW work instead of real estate work.

I realize this question was from nearly a year ago, but recently a SS out of Phoenix has told its notaries not to leave business cards, said it was unprofessional, etc. Now the folks that have been doing this for any amount of time can see BS from a mile away, but new folks coming in don’t always.

Leave your business card, if you want to, it’s NOT unprofessional. It’s not bad form.

Realize that this SS was so heavily invested in real estate and is now shifting gears to get GNW work from the area - GNW work from you. If you provided GNW services to your community all along ( as I hope you did) do not let this false information to sway your business model. Unless you are a DIRECT EMPLOYEE of that SS, you gain NOTHING by not leaving your card behind and they CANNOT tell you how to run your own business.

Edit to add: There are other much more professional notary training coaches out there that teach the exact opposite.

In my area not leaving your business card is considered unprofessional.

2 Likes

I certainly understand operating on a lean budget. Your business card is your first line in marketing your business. I passed out hundreds of cards in casual encounters with the public than I have at the signing table. I get about a 5% return rate from a low cost investment.

Start our with a simple design that has your contact information. When things pick up can invest in something more elegant. Always keep your business card professional. This means no gimmicks or cartoons. Keep the background art, if you choose to, conservative. You want to instill trust with potential/future clients. My business cards have my Tax business on one side, and my NSA business on the reverse.

1 Like

I only leave a card if they ask for it…never unsolicited.

(CA) Can you tell us why you choose not to leave your business card unless asked?

If I am performing a signing, I do not offer my card to borrowers, only if it is requested, Why? because it can be used to question me about the signing I did with them and after the signing borrowers can call you to inquire about details about the signing that only their loan officer or TC can answer detailed not me, and offering my card to borrowers looking for future GNW that they can get in UPS or FedEx facilities will not be viable or profitable to me because some clients are far away from my local business area.

If I’m going to be honest, it’s not because the signing services and/or title companies don’t want me to hand them out to the client that THEY connected me with. It’s probably because I know that 99% of the time the card will be thrown away or buried in a drawer, never to see the light of day again. Since I don’t want to have to keep buying boxes of business cards to replace those lost or thrown away, I only hand them to those who express an interest in possibly using my services again at some point. I know that approach will never win me a Salesman of the Year award, but that’s really not what I’m trying to accomplish.

1 Like

(CA) Thank you for an honest answer. Now I am left wondering what it is you’re “trying to accomplish”.

1 Like

Always, attached to the front of the manila folder in which I place the borrower’s copy.

If no borrower copy is required, I hand it over when the journal entry has been completed.

I present my journal before any other document.

I like to think they are effective. I receive $100 - $150 a month in general notary work from them.

Not leaving a business card after spending an hour at a signer’s house seems pretty shady. We’re not ghosts; we know more about the signers than anyone else in their life, except for their internet search engine, lawyer, and accountant. I regularly receive calls and referrals for notary services. Some of them I can’t remember, then they bring out the business card I handed them 10-15 years ago. So was it the business card, or were they just comfortable with me and felt safe to have me over for another visit? Probably both