Do you Scan many packages at the table?

On many Signing Agent applications, the company wants you to confirm that you have a “portable scanner”.

At real estate closings at title companies, documents must be scanned and delivered to the lender to review before the escrow closes.

I like doing that so that it prevents a post closing issue from the lender/client, in that they’ve already reviewed and approved the signed package.

I have a portable scanner PDF that i use in a pinch for 20 or less pages. More than that i do from home. Most lenders are okay with that and I have never once had a push back on “scanning from the table”. As a borrower i personally would not want you to use my home as an extension of your office… take it to your car or home. But hey thats just me

Not saying I don’t scan or see the occasional need or request, but never needed to do it from the borrowers kitchen table. I travel to my office and use a professional scanner attached to a secure network. I won’t divide up the package and send only what they request, they get 100% of the pages scanned exactly as printed. $25 or more, that covers the extra travel to my office and then again to drop docs.

When I had 5-10 closings a day I did have a printer setup in my trunk with a adf scanner which I used occasionally but not enough to justify killing my trunk space.

2 Likes

So are you saying …
you do have lenders wanting you to scan at the table … before you leave the borrower’s house?

Wow 5-10 a day??? The most i would do is 4 … thats way too stressful

I have never had an order to scan back from the table. All my scan back requests gives me a 2-4 hour and some 24 hours for them to receive the scans.

That was back when we were respected and paid properly and usually had docs the day before or days before. $150-200 a file was normal and there were only a few low-ballers, now the market has been saturated with notaries who don’t understand their worth and signing agencies all about taking advantage of it.

2 Likes

Genius Scan app is perfect download app from Apple Store

Ive only been doing in home loans for 2 years. Never scanned at a home of signers. The optimim way as i see it, is to have a fast scanner at home. The scanner on “all in ones” is way to slow, not to mention limited number of pages. I have a pretty good scanner i bought on ebay. I had to replace rollers. Etc. I was plannning on upgrading, but the biz is a little slow for that. 1. Scan and save to your home computer so you can upload back to signing service. On your computer, set up a folder for notary signings in your documents. In that folder, i set up months and then within the month each signing by last name of signers. 2. I scan in smaller bunches as my current scanner (i used to have a business office size, but no longer have room), tends to jam. I save each scan under the name, "scan 1. Scan 2, etc. under the name. I use a freeware program called “silkodysseypdf” to merge the scans into one. Of course, putting these on your home computer means you have to remove and keep or destroy your hard drive when you get rid of the computer.
Some of the newer scanners may allow uploading from the scanner.
Were you to do this at someone’s home, it takes time and you need an internet connection, something im not willing to ask for. I highly recommend against this. I know some notaries have scanners in their cars and have a setup to allow them to do it from their car. A lot of expense. If the signing co is antsy, i simply tell them i have several back to back signings or long travel and when they can expect it.
Hope this helps.

The only scan I do on location is their DL and any other requested document required for the job. I use Turbo scan on my phone. Simple, easy and it emails to me with a click.

I scan in my car. I have an inverter and a printer and scanner in my car with my laptop i use just for my car.

Camscanner works well for less than 10 pages, I agree.

I scan from the table 100% of the time, and I have never had a client opposed to me sending THEIR documents. I advise them during my confirmation call that I’ll need to be positioned near an available outlet to set up my scanner. As a fully mobile Notary, I don’t need to wait to do anything, and once I leave the appointment, I have nothing lingering but the drop.
My process is simple: take my Raven Pro scanner in a protected rolling/carry pelican case into the home, set it up on the table, sign documents, check them (as the client works on a document), scan the short stack, and keep going until signing is completed. I check the documents again, and transmit to my account. I break down, pack up, go to my car, open Adobe pro online, compress docs, then upload docs with IDs to the signing service server. Done! On to the next client or drop off.

I’m curious…… from the moment that you drive up to the moment you drive off how long does this process take on average… let’s just say for a refinance package?

It depends on the size of the package and the signer(s). If its a 110 pages, theres probably 30-40 pages of signatures and 10 notarizations (just used a 10% avg); it’ll take 30 minutes or so under normal conditions. If you have a talker, I’ll take 45 minutes or more. If you have an older signer, it’ll take an hour, add 30 more minutes for a disabled signer (w/Parkinsons, hearing loss, blindness, etc). Don’t buy into the hype about Notaries who claim they can name that tune in 30 minutes or less. I just had a 168 page signing with a single signer who owns multiple homes and is a mortgage broker. It took 20 minutes! She didn’t need any explanations, just the next page, Lol!

Bottom line, a 20 page Seller signing once took me 90 minutes because there were issues with the closing. Take your time and provide great service for every client. Your reviews will build your business faster than the Notaries who go in and just say “sign here” and leave wearing flip flops and tights in 15 minutes. I know this because I was the Professional Notary that had to go back for a resigning.

I alot 2 hours per signer with an hour travel time to the next with drop time on the way = 3hrs per appointment. If scans are required, its built-in to the table time. Once I figured that out, no more panicked driving and anxieties. My 3 hour rule is for Refinances, Reverse, and Purchases with Mortgage. Cash Sales get 90 minutes (must scan and upload docs at the table), and Loan Mods get an hour.

This works for me. I have time to eat, take bathroom breaks, get gas, and endure traffic.

Let me rephrase the question…. With all the steps of set up and bread down …signing…scanning upload of the docs from your car this whole process for a refinance takes you 90 min?

For a 10am appointment (with less chatty capable signers), after greeting, checking IDs, Notary journal, swearing in; we’ll start signing between 1015-1045. Between 1045-11am, I’m checking docs and scanning if required. I’m out the door by 11.

You are free to contact me directly.

No worries … thank you for responding…I was just curious is all. Your process works for you well I see.

Do you have a more streamlined process or ideas I can integrate? What are your times for Refi’s with and without scanbacks?