Scan backs

I am getting demands for scan backs from Title companies and mortgage companies. Trouble is none of them want to pay extra for it. I depend on Fedex and FEDEX charges .49 a page for scanning. Most packages are 130 pages which is about $65 out of my pocket. When I tell the title companies that is an “add on” they say they will get someone who will not charge them for scanning. I tell them go ahead. I am not a sucker! Don’t work in the deficit for these folks. If they want ad ons and specialized service they must pay for it.

3 Likes

I have a scanner myself, so scan backs aren’t a problem.
But it is a problem when you get asked to do a 150-200 page signing package and they want you to scan everything back and want you to do it for $80.
Then you see them closer and closer to the Appointment date raising the pay more and more.
I sometimes get these guys asking for all of this for $80 then the next day $90, then another text asking for $100, then on the day its due 1 hour out they offer $125 or w/e.
If you had just asked me to do it for $125 at the beginning, a week ago, you wouldn’t have to scramble to get a notary. And I am not now gonna scramble to print your documents, rush out of my coverage area with only an hour or 2 to do so. Wish people would band together so these guys would just go out of business.

Im glad you told them to go pack sand. I would of done the same.

11 Likes

You can do your scanning free at the library.

5 Likes

Has anyone just refuse to not do any scan backs on documents as a part of their profiles?
For example: No Scan backs.

2 Likes

I didn’t do it in my profile as I figured they’d see that and say “oh look, an argumentative notary” - I would just indicate there was an added fee for that additional service. What I did do when I got an assignment asking for scanbacks was tell the hiring party “you can have scanbacks or you can have same day drop at FedEx or UPS but you can’t have both”. I would let them know I have no drop boxes in my small town and the FedEx and/or UPS drop was 15 miles from me (30 miles round trip) - therefore, another added fee for additional travel.

This was done on a case by case basis -

3 Likes

Do the hiring party pay for the FedEx drop off?

1 Like

Normally that’s included in the price you quote - so if you take an assignment, see that scanbacks are required, and know that you’ll have to go back to your office, scanback, then go out again to drop the package…make sure you include the a charge for that in your quoted fee

1 Like

Libraries are closed due covid 19 or have reduced hours, and do you want to use equipment manually in the library?

1 Like

Thank you for the valuable information. :star_struck:

I noticed right away that a lot of Companies wanted scanbacks especially if you have not done business with them before. I went out and bought a Brother 2700-w scanner and it was well worth the money. After having to pay 65,00 at Fed Ex one time I decided to pay the $299 and get a good scanner. It’s been an investment and process getting all of the right office equipment set up but well worth it.

3 Likes

You can purchase a separate scanner the Epson WorkForce ES-400 is an automatic document feeder that costs $250. If you do not want to return home to scan look into the portable scanners. They are slower and take more time to scan and that is another option. You can charge a $10 fee for scan backs and that will make up for the cost of the scanner.

I’m sure you keep receipts for tax season so you can write this off as a business expense.

If you have a UPS office in your area, they scan 10 cents a page +$3.00 surcharge. Before I bought my Canon, I’d go there.

1 Like

Get a printer/scanner??? you can get it for what it costs you to pay fedex to scan

Holy smokes buy yourself a scanner.

3 Likes

From the 1st day I decided to be a notary I purchased a REAL copy machine, color - 3 paper trays - scanner - printer. Currently I own a HP4730 which is the size of a refrigerator/freezer. A real, commercial copier will last you 10 years and is a lot cheaper to operate in the long run over any other solution. HOWEVER if you just want to purchase a good page scanner that can handle 50 pages at a time then put this “Fujitsu fi-5120C Scanner” into the eBay search box and you will see a really good scanner for less then $150.00.

2 Likes

Check with your local Cartridgeworld store. They offer a business printer program. They provide FREE multifuntion - print, scan, copy at no charge. You just buy their toner. It is inexpensive. They deliver toner for free and service the machine for free. There is no committment. when you start you buy a Drum and 2 toners. Cancel anytime. I love this program. I have negotiated down the cost of toner after having the service for about 6 months. Great program

2 Likes

You are absolutely correct. Invest in a good scanner like FUJITSU they have a wireless portable model that is good for smaller scan backs.

1 Like

Nobody reads the profiles. If you don’t want to do scanbacks, just don’t accept those jobs. Simple as that. If you don’t mind doing them but want to be paid extra, make sure you ask for it upfront and not after you’ve already accepted the job.

3 Likes

So buy a scanner, you shouldn’t be using FedEx to scan personal information.

3 Likes

Invest in a ScanSnap. About $500 but makes a Notary life easier AND I scan all my personal invoices and bills etc etc as well and have eliminated a file cabinet. IRS approves of scanned copies as originals.

1 Like