Does anyone do this besides me?

I do something similar in that I used a dry erase board to spell out the way they need to sign their name(s) and also the current date as it should be written. For the RTC, I also place a small post-it over the cancel line that says “sign below” and an arrow pointing down. Some like the board, some don’t give it any attention but at least they can’t say they weren’t advised.

Very cool. However, I write the dates in on all of closings. I have done over a 1000, only once it was returned because the signer put the wrong date. I am always thanked by the signer for saving then time by writing in the date

Wow! How long does it take for you to do a regular refi? I tell my signers are the beginning how to sign, and whatever way they do, just stay consistent.

@MSRHONDA70

Please know that most lenders and title/escrow companies [T/ECs] require that the borrowers [BOs]/signer[s] write in the date for themselves.

This specific instruction is often included within the Signing Instruction Sheet provided with the document package.

NOTE: Of course, the Signing Agent is to date their own notarial certificate [acknowledgement or jurat], but isn’t to write in the date by the signature line for the borrowers [BOs]/signer[s].

I agree with CNsa5. I have not done this but one Notary told me that they pre-dated the documents for the signers ahead of time and the whole package was rejected by that specific title/lender because it was not done by the signer directly.

1 Like

I never put dates in where the signer is supposed to in order to avoid unintended risks. It’s the job of the signer to date their documents. Notaries are not part of the transaction and should not make entries such as dating a document on behalf of the signers that could affect outcomes. Just my opinion. Why take the chance to save a couple of seconds in at the signing table?

3 Likes

Whatever information is required by the signer, the signer is supposed to provide. That includes filling in forms, printing their names where required, and inserting dates in their portion of the document. If it is okay to pre-date or pre-insert, the title company/lender would have already done it. Don’t run the risk of having your work rejected for the saving of a few seconds. IMO.

2 Likes

Pre-date?? I date them as they sign them. No issues ever! I do at least 5-10 closings a week.

2 Likes

@MSRHONDA70

Of course, the Signing Agent is to date their own notarial certificate [acknowledgement or jurat ], but isn’t to write in the date by the signature line for the borrowers [BOs]/signer[s] =>

neither at the time of the signing nor beforehand.

======
Bobby4913 is correct: " Notaries are not part of the transaction and should not make entries such as dating a document on behalf of the signers that could affect outcomes."

======

Best wishes :sparkles::angel:

P.S. Are there any Paralegals and/or Attorneys Notary Café members who could elucidate this topic regarding a legal standpoint of why NOT to date for the Signers/Borrowers please? TIA

IMO: my job is to GUIDE, WITNESS, VERIFY AND CERTIFY. Will NOT DO customer’s job for them like putting in the date for them. Some lenders send docs with the pre-printed signing date by signature line to save time, but that’s their business. Customer’s job is to look at the current date before signing, if the date is not the same day as the actual signing date, then they need to put a clean line through it, initial it, date it, and put in the right date.

1 Like

I’m going to try this method of an “elaborate” presentation. Thanks for sharing. I don’t have the “tools” you’re using, but to lay out all your notarial tools in a professional elaborate deliberate way does grab people’s attention and may also garner you a little more respect for the job at hand.

1 Like

I :heart::heart::heart: the idea and will be adding this to my to do list! I had a refinance the other day with an elderly couple and the husband kept writing 2021 on ever other document.

1 Like

Haha, thank God for cell phone! It would drive me crazy to have extra stuff on the table.

@ [donaldsonnp] I like your style. I may have to do something similar in the future. Right now when I see hesitation I remind the signer of the date verbally.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been doing this for years - cuts down on so many errors. I write the date with a sharpie on an index card, then clip that to a place setting/photo holder. It also helps ME to not panic that I’m the one writing the incorrect date on the docs - LOL!

Bobby4913, I’m just curious about your “signing boards”. What are they? They sound like something we could all use, especially for those signers who don’t want to use their expensive dining table or don’t even have a dining table to sit at.

I use signing boards which are smooth and large (like placemat-size) so I don’t have inconsistent surfaces to contend with. They are flat and light and fit right in my briefcase. Borrowers are always impressed. If you use signing boards, stay away from flowers and dopey scenes on them - too distracting. Use a dark color because it makes a nice background and is useful when you snap photos of driver’s licenses.

2 Likes

This is a great idea. I did a signing the other day on a picnic table in an RV park and the documents were all messed up on the back due to the dirty table. Can you share where you got your signing boards… I like to elevate my game too… :slight_smile:

I do not carry cumbersome or extra objects in my briefcase, if the signing is at a residence I always make sure the tables or signing surfaces are clean before start the signing, same if it is in a Bank office, if the signing is at the park, or driveway I use the documents copies as a base on the pic nic tables or pick up, car hoods, fast and quick!

To each his own. Everybody likes my boards.

1 Like