Fees from Signing Companies

I did a signing for a company. I won’t mention the name.
Went to a signing for them and the borrowers was looking at the charges and they mentioned the Notary Fee. They were paying me $115.00 for that signing. But for the Notary fee that was stated on the documents was $125.00.
So I called them and asked why am I getting only $115.00 when it clearly states the Notary gets $125.00.
I was told that they take a $10.00 finding fee for Notaries.
I had never heard of that when they find us on Snap Docs or Notary Café, and I don’t know why I am paying for Notary Café because I never get a signings from here. But that is another story.
So, does anyone know about a $10.00 finding fee for Notaries even when they go right to Snap Docs or other platforms?

That’s really Standard Operating Procedure…and really not that bad as some will keep more than half of what they charge and throw a bone to the notary.

4 Likes

Thank you, I did not know they did that.
I appreciate your response.
Learn something new every day,.

Thank you :blush:

That is very true. I was prepping docs for a closing and the notary fee was $150 but I was only paid $75 that was my first and last time seeing notary fee in black and white on a clients doc.

The company isn’t required to pay you the fee that you see listed on the settlement statement, this is a business, they are only required to pay you the fee that you negotiated and agreed upon ahead of time.
And sometimes the notary fee isn’t listed as a separate line item on the settlement statement or CD at all, sometimes it is paid directly by the lender, title company or realtor out of their proceeds. And again the amount that you get paid all depends on the amount that you negotiate and agree upon ahead of time. This is why it is so important to know your costs / profits and negotiate for the best and highest fee that you can. Most companies are not going to pay you more out of the “goodness of their heart.” They are going to keep the difference as their profit.
:wink:

2 Likes

Snap Docs charges the signing company.

You are taking work being assigned to you from a signing service agency. They are the middle man. The middle man gets paid by taking their share - that is the $10 in this case. Completely fair. In order for us to earn higher income, it is incumbent upon us to work harder and find those lenders/escrow/title companies that are willing to hire us directly. Then we indeed earn whatever agreed-upon fee in whole.

Notary Fee. They were paying me $115.00 for that signing. But for the Notary fee that was stated on the documents was $125.00.
So I called them and asked why am I getting only $115.00 when it clearly states the Notary gets $125.00.
I was told that they take a $10.00 finding fee for Notaries.

Wait a minute ! Something doesn’t sound right here… The SS is only receiving $10 for their share.
.WHAT They would go Broke quicker than us NSA’s. We need clarification. Thanks