FYI: The Closing Group - I found this in my in box today

Appt: Friday 03/17/2023 1:00pm
Loan Types: 2nd Only, Fax Back
Qty Of Loans: 1

2ND MORTGAGE ONLY WITH EDOCS & SCANBACKS (APPROX 100 PAGES)

FULL SCNABACKS REQUIRED

OUR FEE FOR THIS SIGNING IS $65.00

ONLY NNA APPROVED BACKGROUND REPORTS LESS THAN 1 YEAR AGED CAN BE ACCEPTED FROM NOTARY ON THIS ORDER!!

Please reply with your name if you are available.

YOU MUST BE A COMMISSIONED NOTARY IN THE STATE WHERE THE SIGNING IS TAKING PLACE. PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT AN ASSIGNMENT IN A STATE WHERE YOU DO NOT HAVE A NOTARY COMMISSION!

We apologize if this is not your area as this email goes out to all of our closers in a 25-50 mile radius.

The Closing Group has been a national provider for real estate closings since 2007 and has successfully completed over 100,000 transactions on the Notary Café platform.

*ATTENTION- LENDER REQUIREMENT

ONLY NNA APPROVED BACKGROUND REPORTS LESS THAN 1 YEAR AGED CAN BE ACCEPTED FROM NOTARY ON THIS ORDER!!

*MUST HAVE A COPY OF YOUR BACKGROUND CHECK ON FILE TO RELEASE DOCUMENTS. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE OR HAVE ONE THAT IS OLDER THAN ONE YEAR, WE WILL NEED AN UPDATED BGC SENT TO NOTARYCREDS@THECLOSINGGROUP.BIZ BEFORE WE CAN RELEASE DOCUMENTS.

Thanks,

The Closing Group

Scheduling Dept

502-891-2600

1 Like

Betcha deleted it pretty quick, too. Was it even in your area? I find this co. casts a very wide net so there are many notaries a lot closer (& thus less expensive) than I so it isn’t even worth 10 seconds to counter.

4 Likes

Read the offer closely Arichter, they get their $65 notaries from this site.

3 Likes

I used to get these all the time - my offers were 100 miles away

As to the NC reference
hrrmmm
 @NC_Mike are you aware of this?

And as to this

No surprise there - reviewing some profiles reveals many notaries here taking substandard fees.

2 Likes

So? This site, that site
they all lowball because it’s much easier to ‘click’ a couple dozen names & trust one will do it cheap. What I find annoying about this co. is ‘why they cast a 100 mile wide net and offer $65’? Further, in less saturated areas, the net is 200 miles wide for the same $65. What are they thinking boils down to ‘are they thinking?’ No, just brainlessly clicking away and needlessly annoying a lot of notaries.

5 Likes

Hi @LindaH-FL and all,

We are aware that The Closing Group utilizes our database to offer assignments to our users. However, we do not have any influence or control over the fees offered/accepted.

If there is a particular company that you prefer not to receive offers from, the best suggestion I can give is to contact them directly and request that you be taken off of their contact list. For signing services in our network, that will remove your profile from their searches. Companies outside of our network have their own system of “no offers to be sent” requests.

Thanks,
Mike @ Notary Cafe Support

4 Likes

I would have deleted it immediately had I not read the entire “clown show” offer done in several different font sizes, all caps, some in bold in all caps, and the relentless NNA background requirement.

3 Likes

I have no problem with these gentlemen sending me offers as long as the proposals don’t insult me and any other notary receiving them. Yes, the “business” is slow, and the middlemen seem to think reducing the notary fee is okay to make up for their lost revenue. That’s not okay, and you (the notary cafe) are fully aware of what they’re doing. How about using your platform to help us, not blowing me/us off by suggesting we request removal from their searches?

9 Likes

Aw, c’mon, Joe
directories are just lists that make it easy for hiring party to find a notary. It’s not in any directory’s best interest to try to control how much users offer–or accept! You really can’t blame hiring party for trying to keep as much of the fee as possible–just as you can’t blame notaries for wanting a high enough fee to cover expenses & provide a reasonable profit.
Actually, notaries do have ‘the power of NO’–we just have to use it constantly, consistently and fee offered will increase.
The downside of directories & platforms is that it makes it TOO easy to troll for a notary who is new & ignorant/wants extra income/out of the house/has never calculated costs/thinks they’ll get a foot in the door/thinks they’ll be able to raise fees after they’ve proven themselves
and any of a hundred other dumb reasons they believe accepting a ‘loser’ will work towards their (probably not well thought thru) goal.

I DO think hiring parties could benefit by being a bit more ‘geographically selective’ with their ‘clicking on names’ and sending very annoying, ridiculously low offers to notaries 100 miles away
but as I said before, ‘it’s easier to click than think’. In the good ol’ days, when they had to spend time making calls, they used their brains more
and wanted to get the job filled & move on to the next one. Their ‘profit’ came from filling lots of jobs. Now it comes from finding cheap notaries.

8 Likes

Hi @ewing_joe,

I am sorry if my previous post sounded as if I was “blowing you off.” That was not my intention at all. Notary Cafe does not have any participation in the fees offered by signing services. We actually have no visibility of assignments prior to them being accepted and entered into our system. By suggesting that you contact companies who frequently offer assignments at prices too low for your liking, I was attempting to provide a way to minimize receiving offers for jobs that do not offer the fees you are looking for.

I understand the frustration of receiving less offers than in recent history, and recognize that some companies are offering lower fees. Notary Cafe’s goal is to connect you with those in need of your services, but we do not manage the assignments themselves. As every signing package is different, varying fees are simply a standard industry mechanism. Again, we have no visibility of the order details until it is entered into our system, so we have no way of knowing what a fair price would be for any individual assignment.

For our Notary customers, we try to keep our own fees as low as possible. We have no incentive to see lower fees offered - We operate differently than some platforms which charge percentages of each signing. Instead, we offer Pro memberships at an affordable rate, with no extra features hidden behind additional fees.

It is disheartening to hear that you feel Notary Cafe is not working in your best interest. Part of the method of keeping fees low is to transfer some decision making to our users. I wish I had the ability to ensure that every offer for a signing job is appropriate and fair, but the system is not set up for that kind of involvement from our side.

Thanks,

Mike @ Notary Cafe support

2 Likes

Appreciate the transparency, Mike.
Joe, if you want to rant at anybody
make it the NNA–who do absolutely nothing for notaries except invent new ‘needs’ that they’d like us to pay for.
Off the soapbox now. :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

they come from SNAPDOCS TOO
 I ve done work for them at MY rate .

2 Likes

I was too distracted by the absolute disaster of punctuation and grammar in the email to give the lowball offer much notice.

I also do not like it when it feels like the signing company is yelling the instructions at me.

8 Likes

Thanks but No thanks Arichter. The last time I ranted to the alphabet site I got a call from their lawyers.

2 Likes

I hear you, Joe. OK. Bad idea.

Well, want to feel insulted by them. Today got an offer for a HELOC which was 25 miles away in my area with scan backs. The fee offered was $35 which I countered at my standard fee. They sent it again offering $45. They do not care if you make a profit, we are now expected to offer our services as a Public Service.

Speaking of the NNA looking out for us, if you look at what they are doing, controlling how we do our jobs as INDEPENDENT Contractors you might be surprised they are working the other side of the fence as well. The NNA also has a yearly convention for Signing Services. Bet you have not picked up on that. You/we would feel like they should be representing the notary side to those services to pay us in 30 days, offer a fair fee for our work and maybe offer standardized platforms for our assignments instead of us having to learn so many different platforms to get our work done. They should also show them how to cut their overhead instead of them taking their unfair share and just reduce the notaries. I realize expenses have gone up for everyone in this industry. I have been doing this for 20 years, expenses have gone up, inflation is ramped, yet fees have remained stable for all these years. To my knowledge I can not name one industry that provides services that fees have remained flat or reduced in those 20 years. The NNA instead cranks out new signing agents weekly with the carrot that they can make 6 figure incomes doing signings. They have no intention of doing anything but working on gaining more control over notaries, increasing our expenses (like yearly BGC screenings, when it used to be on your notary renewal) or creating issues which now require many services to require scan backs because of the quality of individuals training who do not perform to customer standards. Many in the industry I think, look at what we do as a Side Gig for notaries, and show no respect for what we are expected to do. We are the most important slice of the loan pie, yet treated as crumbs. But let you make a mistake and you are the first to be called on the carpet.

Enough said, I am not ranting. Just observing what has happened over the last 20 years and how no one stands up for us, except we who have the cajones to JUST SAY NO!

13 Likes

Hi all let me jump on THIS NNA, so my son did his renewal online, 2 month before expiration date of 3/13/23. He missed signing the app
he was told when ge called on the 9th for a follow up, they got paid
but no one checked that!! So time went on and he still waiting to receive the new commission!! So I’m upset that no one at NNA who I thought were for the Notary caught this check & balance the matching paperwork!! Maybe I’m making a big deal over it, but I am appalled they got their money, but he’s still without his commission costing him money!!! Look I know its his fault ok he should have started 3 months ago, or he should have signed it in the first place!!! But my point for this rant was about how they dont care about us! Just about the $$$!!
Ok rant over!!!

5 Likes

I used to try to respond to all offers with a counter even if it was as insulting as that one so that companies would know I was available and willing to work but at my specified fee (which is still reasonable!). I’ve just stopped responding because it is so ridiculous! I don’t know why any notary would accept a $60 signing and The Closing Group needs to clean up their page and look a little more professional!

5 Likes

Hear Hear ! This is the feeling of most, if not all of the seasoned NOTEs here.

3 Likes

The NNA is acting as a pass-through agency for the renewal of your son’s certificate. The certificate is awarded by the DOL for your state. You can go directly to the Department of Licensing and look up notary. There you will find the Word document and/or PDF form to apply for or renew his certificate. You should also know that any certificates used for notary you can download for free from the internet while the NNA will charge you for the bundled package of the certificates for your state. Just make certain to not stop at the first few “sponsored” sites that will provide those certificates to you. There is usually a charge. If push comes to shove, you can always create your own acknowledgement or jurat certificates. What’s important is the verbiage required in your jurisdiction. The verbiage is available to you, again online, just by looking up the codes for your state. I am in WA state. This is how that appears online. If you want some help on how to do that, send me a PM and I will walk you through the process.

2 Likes