Got this email, is it a scam?

Hi. I got this email this morning from a JAMES WALTON (name was in all caps). Subject was “Request for notary agent”. The email said:

Hello,
I was actually searching for a notary on line and i came across your profile as notary agent. I and my Wife are currently planning to buy our first house and we are in need of a reliable notary to help us handle the document part, as our agent said one will be needed.can you help with this? Please advise.

Kind Regards.

I haven’t replied and wanted to see if anyone has gotten an email like this before. The email it’s from is waltonjames778@gmail.com and it seems shady.

The lack of any specifics, like date the notarizations will be performed or town where the signing will take place, or the sender’s phone number, is a red flag for me.

That one has been going around for a couple years now and exactly what the scam is–I dunno. Malware, virus, dunno.
Fact is NOBODY needs a notary while in the process of buying a home as there is nothing to notarize until it gets to actual Closing…at which time either local Lender or TC get a notary involved…not the Buyer.

1 Like

Figured. I was going to write back and say the notary is the lender/real estate/title people’s problem to get, but I didn’t want to respond and have more nonsense sent to me.

I would not reply! Flag it as junk mail!

1 Like

This is a scam. I received the exact same email. Do not reply to it, its a phishing scam or some weirdo that hopes you will reply.

1 Like

Ironically, I received this email yesterday from johndaltoncarter@gmail.com

Hello,
I was actually searching for a notary online and i came across your profile as a notary agent. I am currently planning to buy my first house and i am in need of a reliable notary to help me handle the document part, as my agent said one will be needed.can you help with this? Please advise.

Kind Regards.

WISH I WOULD HAVE CHECKED HERE BEFORE I RESPONDED…and I usually do when it seems vague or suspicious…but I did reply and told IT to check with their agent or escrow company… hope I do not get spammed more UGH!!

SCAM SCAM SCAM look at the language in the email.