Growing Fee Resistance

We all know how lawyers can be a total ripoff throughout our lives along with a legal system that works to create unnecessary burdens on citizens. For instance, I once had a $2,500 lawyer’s retainer stolen without representation by a no show at a hearing and the small claims court wouldn’t do a thing about it when I filed a complaint.

Last week I was questioned at my office where I agreed to meet a government based environmental lawyer for 3 sigs @ $15 each. Yet the fact I met him by his appointment request didn’t prevent him from interrogating me with many questions. He asked how much notaries in California charged for instance. He was concerned I might be over charging in other words.

I’ve been noting push back from these well paid working people and I would like to recommend standing your ground. They are BS-ing notaries! Don’t let them make you feel guilty. If they complain in any way over the phone be careful though because they can lawfully use this as a one star review. I have an option of referring them to a nearby walk-in office if they don’t want to pay $15 per signature. That way they’ll be told no for sure because they don’t negotiate.

Yup. I totally understand why people dislike and loathe lawyers after using one for the first time. He showed up to my general sessions completely unprepared. Did not review any of the materials I sent him, was confused about dates, and was generally useless. I could’ve represented myself better, but I wasn’t so arrogant that I thought I would know more than a 60+ year old lawyer who had been to law school. I was shocked and appalled at his unprofessionalism. And, I believe because of that I lost my case. That was $1500 gone. Another $1500 to appeal.

The lawyer gets paid in full at the beginning whether they win or not. Whether they make mistakes or not. Must be nice. We can be stiffed of all payment for missing a single document out of 150+ on accident. And even if we are perfect we have to wait weeks and even months to be paid for our perfect services. It’s absurd.

I’ve actually sat with lawyers while going over closing documents before in cases where they wanted to present the docs and just wanted me to notarize. It’s so interesting, because many times they don’t even summarize the docs. They do less than I do. Yet, they get paid much more for their time haha. Meanwhile, we are held to such a high standard for pennies.

3 Likes

If you were not given the representation you paid for, let me suggest you contact your State’s Bar Association. They have the authority to go after the lawyer you engaged.

It’s not uncommon for me to be questioned regarding notary fees. I explain what Texas notary fees are and what we’re allow to charge. I also explain that travel fees are above the notary fees. It’s a pain to deal with, but remember it’s their right to ask, and out responsibility to inform. I’ve had a lawyer challenge my fees. I asked him if he remembered that Notary fees are taught in law school.

Unfortunately, we can run into High Conflict Personalities that can make use question if this job is worth doing. While we can’t discriminate who we Notarize for, we can refuse to be abused. When I encounter a HCP requesting my services, I will try to disengage and send them to a walk in location.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience! Well the lawyer has a history of claiming the judge called her into another case and then has a stand-in ready the day before. The stand-in lawyer is a severely handicapped kind person as a ploy to thwart complaints! All he did was copy documents for us at the court house. He also explained to the judge the three of us would testify without his representation and why. The main attorney claimed she used up the retainer.

Anyway, I won the case without the lawyer but all it was was my getting a RO against someone. A guy flew out from Vancouver WA to testify as well.

When it comes to GNW appointments I always confirm the final appointment via email with a copy of the invoice payment and cancelation terms and penalties spelt out. I display the notary fee and travel fee separately and the final total due upfront at time of appointment. Ive only had one instance where the client called me back saying that he found someone cheaper… which was fine by be as i was not lowering or adjusting my fee because it was fair and reasonable. If i have to travel more than 30 miles i require a deposit for my travel paid via zelle.

2 Likes

Had an interesting first experience about 2 days ago. I got an alert that a “chargeback” had been initiated against me. Turns out a signer who paid with card claimed fraud on the $40 signing I did on October 24th. So bizarre to challenge that in December… It was $25 for 1 signature to be notarized and $15 for travel. It’s so easy to contest since I have their paid invoice, card info, and my notary journal with all their ID information, date, fee, their full legal name, and their signature. I understand we’re all struggling out there but really?!

First instance where I will ban someone from working with me. Sad.

1 Like

$25/notarization seems high. Does your state allow that much? Conversely, $15 travel seem low.

If it wasn’t allowed, then I wouldn’t be able to do it. In TN, I can charge whatever I want.

If a client thinks the prices are high, that doesn’t mean they get to refute them after they’ve paid and gotten the service completed two months later. That’s like buying a pair of shoes you can’t afford, wearing them for 2 months, then trying to return them. Makes no sense.

Oh, I totally agree…trying a chargeback after it’s done is a weasel-move.
But, I think you might consider decreasing notarization fee (cuz it used to be like $2) and substantially increasing your travel/convenience fee–everybody completely understands high gas prices these days.

1 Like

Ha! What about the lawyers that you have to call for “consultation” on signings you do for witness states such as Georgia? You have to call them at the beginning of the signing. They ask if you have any questions, you say “not at this time” and they tell you to call them if you have any. They get paid about $400 for “that”. I don’t have to tell you how much “we” get paid for doing all the work.

2 Likes

I too would flip flop it. $15/notarization and $25 for travel. IMO, It’s just a better pricing strategy for travel to be more than the notarization.

1 Like

FRUSTRATED as I type this. I just accepted a job, called and confirmed. Got in my car and traveled to print the documents. Once at the desk top computer, I thought it was odd that a new signing agreement had to be acknowledged. As I read through it, I called and cancelled my part of the job. $25 fee reduction if signer did not get copy of documents, which we all know they do get a copy. $50 full fee if the job cancels after the fact - after all my work. I explained to the SS that is unacceptable. If I print (ink paper machines) , travel (gas car maintenance) , and spend 2 hours on a job , start to finish, I should receive my full fee. She stated they don’t get paid so I should feel lucky to receive the $50. I am ACTUALLY doing the work, they are computer and phones only. At this point, I knew I was making the right decision. Companies have decreased our fees for so long that they no longer understand we are the ones actually doing the physical job. TOO many middle men absorbing the money and us who actually travel and complete and meet the clients are under paid. Have you read the CDs and Settlement statements? Notary fee $200 and I actually get $85 - $100. According to Federal guidelines I am to get the $200 otherwise that is (fraud?) I cannot recall what they actually call it, as I am typing this. It should read the SS name for the CD and Settlement statements . So many claims can be made regarding this infraction.

1 Like

Amen, sister!

Say it louder for those in the back :speaking_head::speaking_head::speaking_head:

Bless their hearts.

Absolutely.

Yup. The signer is paying thousands to all sorts of people. It’s included in the loan. The notary fee should be set for the notary and the middle man’s fee should be on top of that. There needs to be more transparency, as most people think we get the full fee. The middle man gets paid after funds are dispersed while we wait 30, 60, and even 90 days. Hmmm.

2 Likes

What’s ironic? Your fee is still $40. I think many people would consider $25 for 1 notarization as expensive, but wouldn’t know if a $25 travel fee is high or not. It’s just how you itemize your fees. After all, your customer did dispute your charges.

That’s how I price my GN fees—$ 15 per signature and a $25 appearance fee. The client will doubt your sincerity when you call it a “travel fee” when you say you are a local notary.

I’ve read every closing disclosure that doesn’t name me as the notary. The standard notary fee is between $200-$450. So imagine what’s going through the signers’ minds when the notary shows up and is getting paid $250. Does only the notary/LSA know who gets the other 75%? The AGENT/Signing Service gets it; that’s why it’s called a Signing Agency.

For example, I made one signing service 10K last year and they will send me a 1099 for the 10K they paid me.

2 Likes

I have had signers look at the statement and say…”wow, the notary business is a good business, how do I get a piece of that”. They see the $300 notary fee and think that’s what I get paid.

So sorry to hear that! That’s unlawful and I’m sure their bank will reinstate when they investigate.

I have another good example of how these wealthy customers are giving notaries a hard time over our fees in California. Today (Saturday) I was texted for what appeared to be a simple 2 sig notarization request of a prenup at my office. I quoted $30. I certainly didn’t anticipate what would enfold.

We all know prenups generally happen from wealthy couples who have a lot to lose without and that they pay lawyer fees for it. The lady is a bio chemist doctor working in San Franciso for big pharma!

She was so confused I then called to explain why it would be $90 for three separate documents w/ 2 sigs each. She wanted so badly to believe it was $15 per document that she cancelled the appointment wanting to contact her attorney why copies were necessary.

So this is just another example of fee resistance and I’ve noted a pattern of mostly wealthy people who don’t want to pay notary fees especially.

I’ll post another interesting attorney story next.

2 Likes

Here’s another sign among the wealthy here in San Francisco of notary fee resistance.

Yesterday (Friday) a former customer attorney whose in a nice building asked for an appointment for a trust signing of his client. He then shocked me explaining he would be notarizing his client himself this time that he just needed me to witness the will! I explained calmly (lol!) I don’t make appointments for witnessing documents. He then said I could notarize his 4 docs after all. LOL!

1 Like

They’re being lied too.

1 Like